The strength of our commitment to excellence is reflected in our unmatched record of success.
Darren Robbins is a founding partner of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP. Over the last two decades, Darren has served as lead counsel in more than 100 securities class actions and has recovered billions of dollars for investors.
Darren recently served as lead counsel in In re Am. Realty Cap. Props., Inc. Litig., a securities class action arising out of improper accounting practices, recovering more than $1 billion for class members. The American Realty settlement represents the largest recovery as a percentage of damages of any major class action brought pursuant to the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and resolved prior to trial. The $1+ billion settlement included the largest personal contributions ($237.5 million) ever made by individual defendants to a securities class action settlement.
Darren also led Robbins Geller’s prosecution of wrongdoing related to the sale of residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) prior to the global financial crisis, including an RMBS securities class action against Goldman Sachs that yielded a $272 million recovery for investors. Darren served as co-lead counsel in connection with a $627 million recovery for investors in In re Wachovia Preferred Securities & Bond/Notes Litig., one of the largest securities class action settlements ever involving claims brought solely under the Securities Act of 1933.
One of the hallmarks of Darren’s practice has been his focus on corporate governance reform. In UnitedHealth, a securities fraud class action arising out of an options backdating scandal, Darren represented lead plaintiff CalPERS and obtained the cancellation of more than 3.6 million stock options held by the company’s former CEO and secured a record $925 million cash recovery for shareholders. He also negotiated sweeping corporate governance reforms, including the election of a shareholder-nominated director to the company’s board of directors, a mandatory holding period for shares acquired via option exercise, and compensation reforms that tied executive pay to performance. Recently, Darren led a shareholder derivative action brought by several pension funds on behalf of Community Health Systems, Inc. that yielded a $60 million payment to Community Health as well as corporate governance reforms that included two shareholder-nominated directors, the creation and appointment of a Healthcare Law Compliance Coordinator, the implementation of an executive compensation clawback in the event of a restatement, the establishment of an insider trading controls committee, as well as the adoption of a political expenditure disclosure policy.
Darren was named California Lawyer’s Attorney of the Year and has been recognized as one of the nation’s top securities litigators by numerous organizations and publications, including The American Lawyer, which commended him for helping “set the pace for [his] peers,” and Chambers USA, which called him “a prominent figure in the field of securities litigation” and “one of the leaders of the plaintiff Bar.” Darren was also recognized as a Litigator of the Week by The American Lawyer for his work in In re Valeant Pharms. Int’l, Inc. Sec. Litig.
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2010-2022
- Leading Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2020-2021
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2014-2021
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015, 2021
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, 2021
- Southern California Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers®, 2012-2021
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2018, 2020
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2011, 2017, 2019
- Benchmark California Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2019
- State Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2019
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers®, 2017
- Influential Business Leader, San Diego Business Journal, 2017
- Litigator of the Year, Our City San Diego, 2017
- Recognized as one of the Top 100 Lawyers Shaping the Future, Daily Journal, 2008
- Recognized as a Young Litigator 45 and Under, The American Lawyer, 2007
- 2003 Attorney of the Year Award, presented by California Lawyer, March 2004
- Institutional Investor Services
- Vanderbilt School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Southern California, M.A., 1990
- University of Southern California, B.S., 1990
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- Central Laborers’ Pension Fund v. Chellgren (Ashland)
- City of Pontiac General Employees’ Retirement System v. Langone (Home Depot)
- Hsu v. Puma Biotechnology
- In re American Realty Cap. Props., Inc. Litig.
- In re Community Health Systems, Inc. S’holder Derivative Litig.
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re LendingClub Securities Litigation
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- In re Valeant Pharms. Int’l, Inc. Sec. Litig
- In re Wachovia Preferred Securities and Bond/Notes Litig.
- Knurr v. Orbital ATK, Inc.
- Luther v. Countrywide Financial Corporation
- NECA-IBEW Health & Welfare Fund v. Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Schuh v. HCA Holdings, Inc.
- Schwartz v. TXU Corp.
- October 6, 2021
- Litigators of the Week: Motley Rice and Robbins Geller Land an $809M Securities Settlement From TwitterSeptember 24, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- August 4, 2021
- July 30, 2021
- May 26, 2021
- March 30, 2021
- ISS SCAS Top 50 Report Ranks Robbins Geller First for Recovering $1.6 Billion for Investors in 2020, More than Any Other Plaintiffs FirmMarch 24, 2021
- Litigators of the Week: How Robbins Geller Landed a $1.2B Settlement in the Valeant Pharmaceuticals Securities CaseFebruary 5, 2021
- January 28, 2021
- January 20, 2021
- December 30, 2020
- Our Very Own Paul Geller (with his loyal sidekick Gary) Front and Center in Lawdragon’s “Leading Lawyers” Fifteenth Anniversary IssueDecember 18, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- November 30, 2020
- November 16, 2020
- Robbins Geller Attorneys Named as 2021 Southern California Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers by Best Lawyers®November 16, 2020
- November 6, 2020
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Jury Verdict Finding Puma Biotechnology and CEO Alan Auerbach Committed Securities Fraud Results in Damages Three to Six Times Higher Than the Company ClaimedSeptember 8, 2020
- August 25, 2020
- 6 Robbins Geller Female Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch List and 11 Attorneys Recognized as Best LawyersAugust 20, 2020
- Robbins Geller Ranked Tier 1 Firm and Several Partners Named Leading Lawyers and Next Generation Lawyers by The Legal 500June 11, 2020
- June 3, 2020
- Robbins Geller and Attorneys Again Receive Band 1 Rankings and Called “Top-Flight Plaintiff Litigators” with a “Proven Track Record of Winning High-Value Settlements” by Chambers USAApril 23, 2020
- April 8, 2020
- February 24, 2020
- January 24, 2020
- January 21, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- Robbins Geller Wins Practice Groups of the Year in Securities, Competition, and Consumer Categories for 2019January 13, 2020
- December 30, 2019
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Names Robbins Geller a Best Law Firm in America for the Eighth Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2019
- Robbins Geller Defeats Greyhound’s Bid to Dismiss Consumer Claims for Allowing Discriminatory Immigration Raids of Passengers Aboard BusesJune 24, 2019
- June 10, 2019
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Plaintiff’s Verdict in Securities Class Action Trial Against Puma Biotechnology, Inc. and Its Ceo, Alan H. AuerbachFebruary 4, 2019
- Robbins Geller Appointed Lead Counsel and Laborers and Hotel Funds Appointed as Lead Plaintiff in Acadia Healthcare LitigationJanuary 10, 2019
- Robbins Geller Ranked as One of the Best Law Firms in America by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® for the Seventh Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2018
- October 2, 2018
- The National Law Journal Names Robbins Geller as an “Elite Trial Lawyers” Finalist, Noting the Firm’s “Cutting-Edge Work” for the Fourth YearJuly 26, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- March 20, 2018
- February 8, 2018
- January 25, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- July 28, 2017
- May 15, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- January 19, 2017
- Robbins Geller Honored as Securities Category Winner in 2016 Elite Trial Lawyers List by The National Law JournalNovember 9, 2016
- November 2, 2016
- October 13, 2016
- June 16, 2016
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily Interviews Darren Robbins on Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Success and What Is Next in Securities LitigationMay 23, 2016
- May 2016
- May 3, 2016
- February 24, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- November 10, 2015
- September 28, 2015
- June 15, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- March 24, 2015
- November 17, 2014
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Most Feared Plaintiffs' Firms by Law360 and Ranked a "Highly Recommended" Plaintiffs' Firm by Benchmark LitigationOctober 30, 2014
- October 7, 2014
- September 4, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- March 4, 2014
- November 5, 2013
- August 24, 2010
- Darren J. Robbins, Reining in Unicorns: Protecting Pensioners and Entrepreneurs From Fraud, The Recorder, Apr. 9, 2018.
- Darren Robbins, James Jaconette & Michael Albert, After Cyan: Creative Lawyering Can’t Displace Clear Statute, Law360, Mar. 26, 2018.
- Travis E. Downs III, Benny C. Goodman III, Jay P. Lefkowitz, Erik W. Luedeke, Darren J. Robbins & Matthew Solum, Chapter 4: Mediation Submissions by Plaintiffs and Defendants, in Financial Services Mediation Answer Book 4-1 (Layn R. Phillips et al. ed., 2017).