Many CEOs and CFOs have told me that my law firm’s very existence serves as a deterrent against corporate fraud. If that’s not validation of what we do, I don’t know what is.
Samuel Rudman is a founding member of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP, a member of the Management Committee, and manages the Firm’s New York offices. His 26-year securities practice focuses on recognizing and investigating securities fraud, and initiating securities and shareholder class actions to vindicate shareholder rights and recover shareholder losses. Sam is also part of the Firm’s SPAC Task Force, which is dedicated to rooting out and prosecuting fraud on behalf of injured investors in special purpose acquisition companies. A former attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Sam has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for shareholders, including a $200 million recovery in Motorola, a $129 million recovery in Doral Financial, an $85 million recovery in Blackstone, a $74 million recovery in First BanCorp, a $65 million recovery in Forest Labs, a $62.5 million recovery in SQM, a $50 million recovery in TD Banknorth, a $48 million recovery in CVS Caremark, a $34.5 million recovery in L-3 Communications Holdings, a $32.8 million recovery in Snap, Inc., and a $18.5 million recovery in Deutsche Bank.
In the TD Banknorth litigation, the court appointed Sam and the Firm to be lead counsel for the plaintiff class only after rejecting as “wholly inadequate” the settlement negotiated for the class by another law firm. When the Firm later achieved a $50 million recovery for the class, the court stated: “This is one of the cases – there’s probably been a half a dozen since I’ve been a judge that I handled which have – really through the sheer diligence and effort of plaintiffs’ counsel – resulted in substantial awards for plaintiffs, after overcoming serious procedural and other barriers. . . . [I]t appears plainly from the papers that you and your co-counsel have diligently, and at great personal expense and through the devotion of many thousands of hours of your time, prosecuted this case to a successful conclusion.” The court also credited the Firm with raising the inadequacy of the initial settlement.
Sam is an active speaker on securities law matters. He has spoken at programs sponsored by the Practicing Law Institute, including: Securities Litigation & Enforcement Institute and Response to Ponzi and Other Schemes: Alternative Investment Funds under Scrutiny. He has also spoken at the D&O Symposium organized by the Professional Liability Underwriting Society. Additionally, Sam has published articles including: “Meaning of Second Circuit’s ‘W.R. Huff’ for Investment Advisors,” New York Law Journal; “Back to ‘Novak’: Confidential Witnesses in Fraud Actions,” New York Law Journal; and “‘Oscar’: Misinterpretation of Fraud-on-the-Market Theory,” New York Law Journal.
Sam is often recognized for his philanthropic work and has been honored by the Mid-Island Y Jewish Community Center for opening the Rudman Family Food Pantry, which supplies food and support for hundreds of families in need each year in the New York area. Most recently, Sam was lauded by the UJA-Federation of New York and given the Humanitarian award.
Sam has been named a Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazer by The National Law Journal and a New York Trailblazer by the New York Law Journal. Additionally, he has been nationally ranked a Leading Lawyer by Chambers USA, and named both a Leading Lawyer in America and a Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer by Lawdragon. He has also been recognized as a Litigation Star, National Practice Area Star, and a Local Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, and has been ranked as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2007.
Sam graduated from Binghamton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School, where he was a Dean’s Merit Scholar, a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, and the Brooklyn Journal of International Law. Upon graduation from law school, Sam joined the Enforcement Division of the SEC in its New York Regional Office as a staff attorney, where he was responsible for numerous investigations and prosecutions of violations of the federal securities laws. Thereafter, Sam joined one of the largest corporate law firms in the country, where he represented public companies in the defense of securities class actions and also handled white-collar criminal defense matters.
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2007-2023
- Top 10 Most Influential Securities Litigation Attorney in New York, Business Today, 2023
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2018-2019, 2023
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2014-2023
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2019-2023
- Leading Lawyer in America, Lawdragon, 2016-2022
- National Practice Area Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2019-2020
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2020
- New York Trailblazer, New York Law Journal, 2020
- Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2020
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013, 2017-2019
Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1992
- Dean’s Merit Scholar
- Member, Brooklyn Journal of International Law
- Member, Moot Court Honor Society
Binghamton University, B.A., 1989
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth and Fifth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Western, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- In re BHP Billiton Ltd. Sec. Litig.
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re OSG Sec. Litig.
- In re TD Banknorth S’holders Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- Luther v. Countrywide Financial Corporation
- Matrixx Initiatives, Inc. v. Siracusano
- Patel v. L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., et al.
- Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.
- Villella v. Chemical and Mining Company of Chile Inc.
- November 3, 2023
- October 20, 2023
- September 21, 2023
- August 25, 2023
- Robbins Geller Recovers $74 Million for Arconic Investors: Case Arises from Tragic London Grenfell Tower FireAugust 10, 2023
- August 3, 2023
- July 31, 2023
- “Top-Flight Plaintiff Litigators”: Chambers Gives Robbins Geller Band 1 Ranking for the Fourteenth Consecutive YearJune 2, 2023
- May 30, 2023
- Partner Aelish Marie Baig Recognized as 2023 Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazer by The National Law JournalMay 2, 2023
- April 14, 2023
- March 17, 2023
- January 26, 2023
- ISS: Robbins Geller Tops Shareholder Class Action Recoveries in 2022, a “Remarkable” Year for InvestorsJanuary 3, 2023
- Robbins Geller Wins Litigation Firm of the Year: Class Action at The National Law Journal’s Elite Trial Lawyers AwardsJuly 19, 2022
- The Legal 500 Ranks Robbins Geller Partners Leading Lawyers and Notes Firm’s “Strong Reputation as a Prominent Plaintiff Firm”June 16, 2022
- June 6, 2022
- May 25, 2022
- March 7, 2022
- January 27, 2022
- November 4, 2021
- October 6, 2021
- August 4, 2021
- June 22, 2021
- May 26, 2021
- Robbins Geller Secures Appellate Win After Supreme Court of New York Appellate Division Affirms Denial of Motion to Dismiss in Securities Class Action Against Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc.April 30, 2021
- April 21, 2021
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Former Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Zweig Has Joined the Firm’s Manhattan OfficeApril 19, 2021
- April 12, 2021
- ISS SCAS Top 50 Report Ranks Robbins Geller First for Recovering $1.6 Billion for Investors in 2020, More than Any Other Plaintiffs FirmMarch 24, 2021
- March 15, 2021
- March 10, 2021
- January 28, 2021
- December 22, 2020
- Our Very Own Paul Geller (with his loyal sidekick Gary) Front and Center in Lawdragon’s “Leading Lawyers” Fifteenth Anniversary IssueDecember 18, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- November 30, 2020
- September 29, 2020
- Robbins Geller Partners Sam Rudman and Rob Rothman Named New York Trailblazers by the New York Law JournalSeptember 21, 2020
- August 25, 2020
- August 17, 2020
- June 26, 2020
- Robbins Geller Ranked Tier 1 Firm and Several Partners Named Leading Lawyers and Next Generation Lawyers by The Legal 500June 11, 2020
- Robbins Geller Partners Sam Rudman, Spence Burkholz, Willow Radcliffe, and Bobby Henssler Named 2020 Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazers by The National Law JournalApril 27, 2020
- Robbins Geller and Attorneys Again Receive Band 1 Rankings and Called “Top-Flight Plaintiff Litigators” with a “Proven Track Record of Winning High-Value Settlements” by Chambers USAApril 23, 2020
- February 26, 2020
- January 24, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- Robbins Geller Wins Practice Groups of the Year in Securities, Competition, and Consumer Categories for 2019January 13, 2020
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Former Assistant Attorney General Desiree Cummings Has Joined the Firm’s Manhattan OfficeJanuary 9, 2020
- October 1, 2019
- July 9, 2019
- May 29, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- April 11, 2019
- Robbins Geller Ranked as One of the Best Law Firms in America by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® for the Seventh Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2018
- August 14, 2018
- The National Law Journal Names Robbins Geller as an “Elite Trial Lawyers” Finalist, Noting the Firm’s “Cutting-Edge Work” for the Fourth YearJuly 26, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- February 8, 2018
- January 25, 2018
- December 19, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- Robbins Geller Honored as Securities Category Winner in 2016 Elite Trial Lawyers List by The National Law JournalNovember 9, 2016
- October 13, 2016
- May 2016
- April 1, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Fighting for Children Diagnosed with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder in New YorkJanuary 4, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- September 28, 2015
- Robbins Geller Obtains Class Certification in Goldman Sachs Securities Class Action, the Firm’s Seventh Post-Halliburton Class Certification VictorySeptember 25, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Most Feared Plaintiffs' Firms by Law360 and Ranked a "Highly Recommended" Plaintiffs' Firm by Benchmark LitigationOctober 30, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- August 30, 2013
- A First Time for Everything: The First Circuit Opines on Loss Causation and Vacates CVS Caremark DismissalMay 24, 2013
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Opening of Chicago Office and Recovery of $200 Million for Motorola ShareholdersFebruary 2, 2012
- January 30, 2009