Shawn A. Williams
“Winning consistently and recovering shareholder assets is a result of persistently mining for the truth, and that is what we do.”
Prior to joining the Firm, Shawn Williams served as an Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office from 1995-2000, where he obtained significant trial and investigative experience.
Shawn Williams is a partner in the Firm’s San Francisco office and a member of the Firm’s Management Committee. His practice focuses on securities class actions. Williams was among the lead class counsel for the Firm recovering investor losses in notable cases, including In re Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. Sec. Litig. ($75 million); In re Veritas Software Corp. Sec. Litig. ($35 million); and In re Cadence Design Sys. Sec. Litig. ($38 million).
Williams is also among the Firm’s lead attorneys prosecuting shareholder derivative actions, securing tens of millions of dollars in cash recoveries and negotiating the implementation of comprehensive corporate governance enhancements. See, e.g., In re McAfee, Inc. Derivative Litig.; In re Marvell Tech. Grp. Ltd. Derivative Litig.; In re KLA Tencor S’holder Derivative Litig.; and The Home Depot, Inc. Derivative Litig. More recently, in a shareholder derivative action, City of Westland Police and Fire Ret. Sys. v. Wells Fargo & Co., Williams and a team of Robbins Geller attorneys secured significant governance reforms and corporate initiatives, including $36.5 million in funding for homeownership down-payment assistance in communities affected by the financial crisis and high foreclosure rates.
Williams has also led multiple securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions in which the Firm has secured significant rulings in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (Knollenberg v. Harmonic, Inc., 152 F. App’x 674 (9th Cir. 2005); Nursing Home Pension Fund, Local 144 v. Oracle Corp., 380 F.3d 1226 (9th Cir. 2004); Lynch v. Rawls, 429 F. App’x 641 (9th Cir. 2011)) and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (Barrie v. Intervoice-Brite, Inc., 409 F.3d 653 (5th Cir. 2005)).
Prior to joining the Firm in 2000, Williams served for 5 years as an Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, where he tried over 20 cases to New York City juries and led white-collar fraud grand jury investigations. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the State University of New York at Albany and he earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Illinois.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2017
- Board Member, California Bar Foundation, 2012-2014
University of Illinois, J.D., 1995
The State University of New York at Albany, B.A., 1991
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Third and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Central Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- May 24, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- December 28, 2016
- September 30, 2016
- May 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Secures Class Certification in Securities Class Action Against Prudential Financial, Inc.August 31, 2015
- Robbins Geller Substantially Defeats Medtronic, Inc.’s Motion to Dismiss Scheme Allegations Relating to Key ProductSeptember 29, 2014
- August 8, 2014
- April 30, 2014
- February 6, 2014
Awards & Recognition
- Six Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Five Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2016
- Four Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2015
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars