I’m proud to work every day alongside what I consider to be the very best lawyers, paralegals and support staff in the business.
Michael Dowd was a founding partner of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP. He has practiced in the area of securities litigation for 20 years, prosecuting dozens of complex securities cases and obtaining significant recoveries for investors in cases such as UnitedHealth ($925 million), WorldCom ($657 million), AOL Time Warner ($629 million), Qwest ($445 million), and Pfizer ($400 million).
Mike served as lead trial counsel in Jaffe v. Household International in the Northern District of Illinois, a securities class action that obtained a record-breaking $1.575 billion settlement after 14 years of litigation, including a six-week jury trial in 2009 that resulted in a verdict for plaintiffs. Mike also served as the lead trial lawyer in In re AT&T Corp. Sec. Litig., which was tried in the District of New Jersey and settled after only two weeks of trial for $100 million.
Mike served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1987-1991, and again from 1994-1998, where he handled dozens of jury trials and was awarded the Director's Award for Superior Performance. Mike has received the AV Preeminent certification by Martindale-Hubbell (the highest rating available). He has been named Attorney of the Year by California Lawyer, one of the Top 100 Lawyers by the Daily Journal, and a Leading Lawyer in America, Hall of Fame, a Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer by Lawdragon, a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine, and a Best Lawyer in America and Best Lawyer in Southern California by Best Lawyers®. Additionally, the National Association of Corporate Directors’ NACD Directorship magazine named him to their Directorship 100, which recognizes those individuals who have had a profound impact and the greatest influence on corporate governance.
Mike graduated from Fordham University, magna cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Latin. While at Fordham, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Michigan School of Law.
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Director’s Award for Superior Performance, United States Attorney’s Office
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2015-2022
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2019-2021
- Top Lawyer in San Diego, San Diego Magazine, 2013-2021
- Southern California Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers®, 2015-2021
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010-2020
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers®, 2020
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2016-2019
- Hall of Fame, Lawdragon, 2018
- Litigator of the Year, Our City San Diego, 2017
- Leading Lawyer in America, Lawdragon, 2014-2016
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, 2015
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013
- Directorship 100, NACD Directorship, 2012
- Attorney of the Year, California Lawyer, 2010
- Top 100 Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2009
- Litigation Services
- Securities Fraud
University of Michigan School of Law, J.D., 1984
Fordham University, B.A., 1981, History and Latin, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank v. Morgan Stanley & Co. Inc.
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- AOL Time Warner, Inc. Opt-Out Litigations
- In re American Realty Cap. Props., Inc. Litig.
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- Jaffe v. Household Int’l, Inc.
- Jones v. Pfizer Inc.
- Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.
- March 7, 2022
- November 4, 2021
- October 6, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- August 4, 2021
- April 20, 2021
- ISS SCAS Top 50 Report Ranks Robbins Geller First for Recovering $1.6 Billion for Investors in 2020, More than Any Other Plaintiffs FirmMarch 24, 2021
- December 7, 2020
- November 30, 2020
- Robbins Geller Attorneys Named as 2021 Southern California Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers by Best Lawyers®November 16, 2020
- November 6, 2020
- August 25, 2020
- 6 Robbins Geller Female Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch List and 11 Attorneys Recognized as Best LawyersAugust 20, 2020
- January 24, 2020
- January 24, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- Robbins Geller Wins Practice Groups of the Year in Securities, Competition, and Consumer Categories for 2019January 13, 2020
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Names Robbins Geller a Best Law Firm in America for the Eighth Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2019
- May 16, 2019
- Robbins Geller Ranked as One of the Best Law Firms in America by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® for the Seventh Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2018
- The National Law Journal Names Robbins Geller as an “Elite Trial Lawyers” Finalist, Noting the Firm’s “Cutting-Edge Work” for the Fourth YearJuly 26, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- February 8, 2018
- January 31, 2018
- January 25, 2018
- November 22, 2017
- November 1, 2017
- July 19, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- Robbins Geller Honored as Securities Category Winner in 2016 Elite Trial Lawyers List by The National Law JournalNovember 9, 2016
- November 2, 2016
- Robbins Geller Prevails in 14-Year Household Securities Class Action with Record $1.575 Billion RecoveryOctober 28, 2016
- October 13, 2016
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Obtains Record $1.575 Billion Recovery from HSBC Finance Corp. in Securities Fraud Class ActionJune 16, 2016
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily Interviews Darren Robbins on Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Success and What Is Next in Securities LitigationMay 23, 2016
- May 2016
- September 28, 2015
- July 30, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- February 13, 2015
- September 4, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Obtains $2.46 Billion Judgment Against Household International, Now HSBC Finance Corp.October 17, 2013
- August 30, 2013
- Plaintiffs Reach “Landmark” Settlement in Case Against Rating Agencies and Morgan Stanley on the Eve of TrialApril 26, 2013
- December 14, 2011
- February 24, 2010
- February 19, 2010