Randall J. Baron
“We achieve real results for shareholders through unmatched skill and tireless dedication to each and every case.”
Randy Baron, a former prosecutor, specializes in challenges to mergers and acquisitions, where he has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for shareholders.
Randy Baron is a partner in the Firm’s San Diego office. He specializes in securities litigation, corporate takeover litigation and breach of fiduciary duty actions. For almost two decades, Baron has headed up a team of lawyers whose accomplishments include obtaining instrumental rulings both at injunction and trial phases, and establishing liability of financial advisors and investment banks. With an in-depth understanding of merger and acquisition and breach of fiduciary duty law, an ability to work under extreme time pressures, and the experience and willingness to take a case through trial, he has been responsible for recovering more than a billion dollars for shareholders.
Notable achievements over the years include: In re Kinder Morgan, Inc. S’holders Litig. (Kan. Dist. Ct., Shawnee Cty.), where Baron obtained an unprecedented $200 million common fund for former Kinder Morgan shareholders, the largest merger & acquisition class action recovery in history; In re Dole Food Co., Inc. Stockholder Litig. (Del. Ch.), where he went to trial in the Delaware Court of Chancery on claims of breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of Dole Food Co., Inc. shareholders and obtained $148 million, the largest trial verdict ever in a class action challenging a merger transaction; and In re Rural/Metro Corp. Stockholders Litig. (Del. Ch.), where Baron and co-counsel obtained nearly $110 million total recovery for shareholders against Royal Bank of Canada Capital Markets LLC. In In re Del Monte Foods Co. S’holders Litig. (Del. Ch.), he exposed the unseemly practice by investment bankers of participating on both sides of large merger and acquisition transactions and ultimately secured an $89 million settlement for shareholders of Del Monte. Baron was one of the lead attorneys representing about 75 public and private institutional investors that filed and settled individual actions in In re WorldCom Sec. Litig. (S.D.N.Y.), where more than $657 million was recovered, the largest opt-out (non-class) securities action in history. In In re Dollar Gen. Corp. S’holder Litig. (Tenn. Cir. Ct., Davidson Cty.), Baron was lead trial counsel and helped to secure a settlement of up to $57 million in a common fund shortly before trial, and in Brown v. Brewer (C.D. Cal.), he secured $45 million for shareholders of Intermix Corporation, relating to News Corp.’s acquisition of that company. In In re Chaparral Res., Inc. S’holders Litig. (Del. Ch.), he was one of the lead trial counsel, which resulted in a common fund settlement of $41 million (or 45% increase above merger price) after a full trial and a subsequent mediation before the Delaware Chancellor. The Delaware Vice Chancellor who presided over the trial noted that “the performance [of the attorneys on the case] was outstanding, and frankly, without the efforts of counsel, nothing would have been achieved.” In In re ACS S’holder Litig. (Tex. Cty. Ct., Dallas Cty.), Baron led the negotiations and obtained significant concessions from ACS’s acquirer, Xerox, by which shareholders would not be locked out of receiving more money from another buyer. The New York Times Deal Professor deemed this result both “far reaching” and “unprecedented.” In In re Prime Hospitality, Inc. S’holder Litig.(Del. Ch.), he led a team of lawyers who objected to a settlement that was unfair to the class and proceeded to litigate breach of fiduciary duty issues involving a sale of hotels to a private equity firm. The litigation resulted in a common fund settlement of $25 million for shareholders. As the Delaware Chancellor presiding over the case noted: “[H]ad it not been for the intervention of [Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP] . . . there would not have been a settlement that would have generated actual cash for the shareholders.”
Formerly, Baron served as a Deputy District Attorney in Los Angeles County. From 1990-1997, he was a trial deputy in numerous offices throughout Los Angeles County, where he tried over 70 felony cases. From 1994-1997, Baron was part of the Special Investigation Division of the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office, where he investigated and prosecuted public corruption cases. He also teaches merger and acquisition litigation at Columbia Law School and frequently guest lectures at law schools throughout the country, including Stanford Law School and Harvard Law School.
Baron has received numerous accolades, including being named a Leading Lawyer by Chambers USA, Attorney of the Year by California Lawyer, a Mergers & Acquisitions Trailblazer by The National Law Journal, a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, Litigator of the Week by The American Lawyer, a Leading Lawyer by The Legal 500, one of the Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon, and a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Baron earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law, graduating cum laude.
Honors & Awards
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2016-2017
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2017
- Leading Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2014-2017
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2017
- Leading Lawyer in America, Lawdragon, 2011, 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2016
- Mergers & Acquisitions Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2015-2016
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, October 16, 2014
- Attorney of the Year, California Lawyer, 2012
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, October 7, 2011
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1990, cum laude
University of Colorado at Boulder, B.A., 1987
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- In re Community Health Systems, Inc. Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- In re Del Monte Foods Co. S'holders Litig.
- In re Dole Food Co., Inc. Stockholder Litig.
- In re Kinder Morgan, Inc. S'holders Litig.
- In re Rural/Metro Corp. Stockholders Litig.
- January 10, 2017
- November 30, 2015
- August 27, 2015
- November 4, 2014
- Robbins Geller Obtains near $100 Million Judgment Against RBC Capital Markets, LLC on Behalf of Former Rural/Metro Corp. ShareholdersOctober 13, 2014
- September 3, 2014
- June 30, 2014
- May 12, 2014
- May 5, 2014
- March 10, 2014
- February 21, 2012
- October 6, 2011
Awards & Recognition
- The Legal 500 Ranks Robbins Geller Tier 1 and Individually Recognizes 14 Attorneys
- Chambers USA Awards Top Ranking to Robbins Geller and Its Attorneys
- Lawdragon Names Five Robbins Geller Partners as Leading Lawyers in America
- Benchmark Litigation Continues to “Highly Recommend” Robbins Geller as One of the Top Plaintiffs Firms in America and Commends 8 Partners as Stars and Top Litigators
- The National Law Journal Names Randall J. Baron a 2016 M&A Trailblazer
- The Legal 500 Recognizes Robbins Geller as “the 800-pound gorilla” Plaintiffs’ Firm and Awards Top Ranking
- Rankings Are In! Chambers USA Recognizes Robbins Geller as a Top Securities Firm & Names Attorneys the Best in Their Field
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Corporate Control Alert Features Robbins Geller Partner Randall J. Baron
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- The National Law Journal Names Randall J. Baron, Patrick J. Coughlin and David W. Mitchell as M&A and Antitrust Trailblazers
- 34 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego
- Robbins Geller Ranked #1 M&A Law Firm
- Randall Baron Named Litigator of the Week by The American Lawyer
- The Legal 500 Recognizes Randall J. Baron as a “Leading Lawyer” and Robbins Geller as Top-Tier Plaintiffs’ Firm
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- Darren Robbins, Paul Geller and Randy Baron Named to Lawdragon’s List of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- A. Rick Atwood and Randall J. Baron Named Attorneys of the Year
- First Quarter 2017
- First Quarter 2016
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2014
- Second Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2012
- Second Quarter 2012
- First Quarter 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2011