David W. Mitchell
It is important for aggrieved parties to have their day in court and to have the best possible representation.
David Mitchell is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office and focuses his practice on antitrust and securities fraud litigation. He leads the Firm’s antitrust benchmark rate litigations as well as the Firm’s pay-for-delay actions. He has served as lead or co-lead counsel in numerous cases and has helped achieve substantial settlements for shareholders. His recent cases include Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC, obtaining more than $590 million for shareholders, and In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litig. Currently, Mitchell serves as court-appointed counsel in the ISDAfix Benchmark action and In re Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litig.
Mitchell was nationally recognized for his legal work and named an “Antitrust Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal, which honored attorneys for their achievements in various specialties. He has also been named to the Best Lawyers in America list by Best Lawyers®, the “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego” list by the San Diego Business Journal, the Super Lawyers list, and the 2014 Global Directory of Who’s Who.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mitchell served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California. While at the United States Attorney’s Office, he worked on cases involving narcotics trafficking, bank robbery, murder-for-hire, alien smuggling and terrorism. He tried nearly 20 cases to verdict before federal criminal juries and made numerous appellate arguments before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mitchell graduated from the University of Richmond with a Bachelor of Arts degree in both Economics and History and thereafter received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Member, Enright Inn of Court
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2018
- Super Lawyer, 2016-2018
- Antitrust Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2015
- “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego,” San Diego Business
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1998
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1995
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- March 30, 2018
- December 19, 2017
- November 1, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Names Eight Robbins Geller Attorneys as Best Lawyers in America and Selects Paul Geller as Lawyer of the Year for 2018August 15, 2017
- April 24, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- May 17, 2016
- Paul Geller Appointed to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in Nationwide Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust LitigationApril 8, 2016
- 31 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers MagazineJanuary 20, 2016
- November 9, 2015
- The National Law Journal Names Randall J. Baron, Patrick J. Coughlin and David W. Mitchell as M&A and Antitrust TrailblazersSeptember 28, 2015
- April 21, 2015
- Robbins Geller Defeats Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan’s Motion to Dismiss Claims in Aluminum Antitrust ActionMarch 27, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- February 12, 2015
- December 3, 2014
- November 6, 2014
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Case Against Stock Exchanges Over High-Frequency Trading Heats UpSeptember 9, 2014
- January 17, 2014
- April 11, 2013
- March 13, 2013
- July 19, 2012