It is important for aggrieved parties to have their day in court and to have the best possible representation.
David Mitchell is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office and focuses his practice on antitrust and securities fraud litigation. As head of the Firm’s Antitrust and Competition Law Practice Group, he has served as lead or co-lead counsel in numerous cases and has helped achieve substantial settlements for shareholders. His most notable cases include Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC, obtaining more than $590 million for shareholders, and In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litig., in which a settlement of up to $6.26 billion was recently preliminarily approved by the Eastern District of New York. Thought to be the largest antitrust class action case in history, the case charges Visa, MasterCard and the country's major banks with violating federal law in the allegedly collusive manner in which rules are set in the industry, including rules requiring payment of ever-increasing interchange fees by merchants.
Additionally, David served as class counsel in the ISDAfix Benchmark action against 14 major banks and broker ICAP plc, obtaining $504.5 million for plaintiffs. Currently, David serves as court-appointed counsel in In re Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litig., City of Providence, Rhode Island v. BATS Global Markets Inc., In re SSA Bonds Antitrust Litig., In re Remicade Antitrust Litig. and In re 1-800 Contacts Antitrust Litig.
David was nationally recognized for his legal work and named an “Antitrust Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal, which honored attorneys for their achievements in various specialties. The American Antitrust Institute 2018 Antitrust Enforcement Awards selected him as an Honoree in the category of Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice for his work in Alaska Electrical Pension Fund v. Bank of America Corp. David has also been named to the Best Lawyers in America list by Best Lawyers® and the “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego” list by the San Diego Business Journal. In addition, he has been named multiple times to the Super Lawyers list and the Global Directory of Who’s Who.
Before joining the Firm, David served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California where he worked on cases involving narcotics trafficking, bank robbery, murder-for-hire, and alien smuggling. He tried nearly 20 cases to verdict before federal criminal juries and made numerous appellate arguments before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
David graduated from the University of Richmond with a Bachelor of Arts degree in both Economics and History and thereafter received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Member, Enright Inn of Court
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2018-2019
- Super Lawyer, 2016-2019
- Honoree, Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice, American Antitrust Institute, 2018
- Antitrust Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2015
- “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego,” San Diego Business
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1998
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1995
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- April 10, 2019
- March 22, 2019
- Robbins Geller and Co-Counsel Achieve $504 Million “Extraordinary” Settlement in ISDAfix Benchmark LitigationDecember 3, 2018
- Robbins Geller Partner David Mitchell Honored for Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in ISDAfix Benchmark ActionOctober 9, 2018
- September 18, 2018
- September 5, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- July 3, 2018
- Robbins Geller Defeats Motion to Dismiss Major Antitrust Action Alleging Conspiracy Among the World’s Largest Gas CompaniesJune 27, 2018
- June 13, 2018
- March 30, 2018
- December 19, 2017
- November 1, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Names Eight Robbins Geller Attorneys as Best Lawyers in America and Selects Paul Geller as Lawyer of the Year for 2018August 15, 2017
- April 24, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- May 17, 2016
- Paul Geller Appointed to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in Nationwide Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust LitigationApril 8, 2016
- 31 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers MagazineJanuary 20, 2016
- November 9, 2015
- The National Law Journal Names Randall J. Baron, Patrick J. Coughlin and David W. Mitchell as M&A and Antitrust TrailblazersSeptember 28, 2015
- April 21, 2015
- Robbins Geller Defeats Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan’s Motion to Dismiss Claims in Aluminum Antitrust ActionMarch 27, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- February 12, 2015
- December 3, 2014
- November 6, 2014
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Case Against Stock Exchanges Over High-Frequency Trading Heats UpSeptember 9, 2014
- January 17, 2014
- December 13, 2013
- April 11, 2013
- March 13, 2013
- July 19, 2012
- Christopher M. Burke, Stephanie A. Hackett, David W. Mitchell, Simon J. Wilke, Melanie Stallings Williams, Michael A. Williams & Wei Zhao, Masters of the Universe: Bid Rigging by Private Equity Firms in Multibillion Dollar LBOs, 87 U. Cin. L. Rev. 29 (2018).