It is important for aggrieved parties to have their day in court and to have the best possible representation.
David Mitchell is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office and focuses his practice on antitrust and securities fraud litigation. He is a former federal prosecutor who has tried nearly 20 jury trials. As head of the Firm’s Antitrust and Competition Law Practice Group, he has served as lead or co-lead counsel in numerous cases and has helped achieve substantial settlements for shareholders. His most notable antitrust cases include Dahl v. Bain Cap. Partners, LLC, obtaining more than $590 million for shareholders, and In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litig., in which a settlement of $5.5 billion was approved in the Eastern District of New York. This case was brought on behalf of millions of U.S. merchants against Visa and MasterCard and various card-issuing banks, challenging the way these companies set and collect tens of billions of dollars annually in merchant fees. The settlement is believed to be the largest antitrust class action settlement of all time.
Additionally, David served as co-lead counsel in the ISDAfix Benchmark action against 14 major banks and broker ICAP plc, obtaining $504.5 million for plaintiffs. Currently, David serves as court-appointed lead counsel in In re Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litig., City of Providence, Rhode Island v. BATS Global Markets Inc., In re SSA Bonds Antitrust Litig., In re Remicade Antitrust Litig. and In re 1-800 Contacts Antitrust Litig.
David was nationally recognized for his legal work and named an “Antitrust Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal, which honored attorneys for their achievements in various specialties. The American Antitrust Institute 2018 Antitrust Enforcement Awards selected him as an Honoree in the category of Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice for his work in Alaska Electrical Pension Fund v. Bank of America Corp. David has also been named to the Best Lawyers in America and the Southern California Best Lawyers lists by Best Lawyers® and the “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego” list by the San Diego Business Journal. In addition, he has been named multiple times as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine and to the Global Directory of Who’s Who. He has also been named a Leading Lawyer in America and a Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer by Lawdragon.
Before joining the Firm, David served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California where he worked on cases involving narcotics trafficking, bank robbery, murder-for-hire, and alien smuggling. He tried nearly 20 cases to verdict before federal criminal juries and made numerous appellate arguments before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
David graduated from the University of Richmond with a Bachelor of Arts degree in both Economics and History and thereafter received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Member, Enright Inn of Court
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2018-2022
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2019-2021
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2021
- Leading Lawyer in America, Lawdragon, 2020-2021
- Southern California Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers®, 2018-2021
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016-2021
- Honoree, Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice, American Antitrust Institute, 2018
- Antitrust Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2015
- “Best of the Bar – The Most Outstanding Lawyers in San Diego,” San Diego Business
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1998
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1995
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- August 19, 2021
- June 7, 2021
- Rite Aid Loses Bid to Force Arbitration of Generic Drug Price Fraud Claims in Ninth Circuit Victory Robbins Geller Obtained for ConsumersMay 26, 2021
- January 28, 2021
- Our Very Own Paul Geller (with his loyal sidekick Gary) Front and Center in Lawdragon’s “Leading Lawyers” Fifteenth Anniversary IssueDecember 18, 2020
- Robbins Geller Attorneys Named as 2021 Southern California Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers by Best Lawyers®November 16, 2020
- November 6, 2020
- August 25, 2020
- 6 Robbins Geller Female Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch List and 11 Attorneys Recognized as Best LawyersAugust 20, 2020
- February 14, 2020
- Robbins Geller and Co-Counsel Obtain Court Approval of Record-Setting $5.5 Billion Settlement in Visa/Mastercard Interchange Antitrust CaseDecember 17, 2019
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Names Robbins Geller a Best Law Firm in America for the Eighth Consecutive YearNovember 1, 2019
- May 29, 2019
- Robbins Geller and Co-Counsel Achieve $504 Million “Extraordinary” Settlement in ISDAfix Benchmark LitigationDecember 3, 2018
- September 18, 2018
- July 3, 2018
- December 19, 2017
- November 1, 2017
- Paul Geller Appointed to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in Nationwide Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust LitigationApril 8, 2016
- February 12, 2015
- December 3, 2014
- December 13, 2013
- March 13, 2013
- Christopher M. Burke, Stephanie A. Hackett, David W. Mitchell, Simon J. Wilke, Melanie Stallings Williams, Michael A. Williams & Wei Zhao, Masters of the Universe: Bid Rigging by Private Equity Firms in Multibillion Dollar LBOs, 87 U. Cin. L. Rev. 29 (2018).