Our firm’s record of success reflects the quality of our lawyers and our dedication to serving our clients.
James Barz is a partner at Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP and manages the Firm’s Chicago office. He is a registered CPA, a former federal prosecutor, and he has been an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law from 2008 to 2017, teaching courses on trial advocacy and class action litigation.
Barz has focused on representing investors in securities fraud class actions that have resulted in recoveries of over $900 million, including: HCA ($215 million, M.D. Tenn.); Motorola ($200 million, N.D. Ill.); Sprint ($131 million, D. Kan.); Psychiatric Solutions ($65 million, M.D. Tenn.); Dana Corp. ($64 million, N.D. Ohio); and Hospira ($60 million, N.D. Ill.). He has been lead or co-lead trial counsel in several of these cases obtaining favorable settlements just days or weeks before trial and after obtaining denials of summary judgment. Barz is currently representing investors in securities fraud litigation against Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc. (D.N.J.). Barz also handles whistleblower cases, including a successful settlement in United States v. Signature Healthcare LLC (M.D. Tenn.) ($30 million settlement), and antitrust cases, including recently being appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in In re Dealer Management Systems Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ill.). Barz also has responsibilities for Firm training and professional responsibility matters.
Barz has been named a Leading Lawyer in the categories of Class Action/Mass Tort Plaintiff’s Law, False Claims Act/Whistle Blower Law and Investor Protection Law/Securities Class Action Litigation by Law Bulletin Media’s Leading Lawyers. Additionally, he has been recognized as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Prior to joining the Firm, Barz was a partner at Mayer Brown LLP from 2006 to 2011 and an associate from 1998 to 2002. At Mayer Brown, Barz handled commercial litigation, internal investigations, and antitrust cases. Barz was also active in their pro bono program where, in his first jury trial, he won an acquittal on all charges and, in his first appeal, he obtained the reversal of a conviction based on the trial judge having solicited a bribe. From 2002 to 2006 he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in Chicago, trying cases and supervising investigations involving public corruption, financial frauds, tax offenses, money laundering, and drug and firearm offenses. He successfully obtained a conviction against every defendant who went to trial.
Barz earned a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in public accounting from Loyola University Chicago, School of Business Administration, graduating summa cum laude and first in his class. He is a registered CPA who received the ICPAS Excel Award for scoring in the top 1% of the nation on the CPA exam. Barz received his Juris Doctor degree from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and graduated cum laude.
- Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media, 2018
- Super Lawyer, 2018
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude
- Member of the Law Review
Loyola University Chicago, School of Business Administration, B.B.A., 1995, summa cum laude
- Accounting Departmental Key
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- June 13, 2018
- Robbins Geller Represents Whistleblowers in $30 Million Settlement Between the U.S. Department of Justice and Signature HealthcareJune 11, 2018
- Robbins Geller Partner James Barz Named an Illinois Super Lawyer and Associate Frank Richter Named a Rising Star for 2018January 25, 2018
- May 17, 2016
- November 10, 2015
- August 12, 2015
- April 21, 2015
- March 31, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- January 17, 2015
- November 21, 2014
- November 6, 2014
- April 28, 2014
- April 8, 2014
- April 4, 2014
- February 13, 2013
- November 15, 2012
- August 28, 2012
- April 19, 2012
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Opening of Chicago Office and Recovery of $200 Million for Motorola ShareholdersFebruary 2, 2012
- December 14, 2011
- Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University School of Law: Trial Advocacy, 2008-present; Class Action Litigation, 2016
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Saints Peter & Paul School Advancement Board, 2008-2015
Featured Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Loyola University Chicago, Institute for Investor Protection Symposium, 2015
- Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement 2015 Update, Chicago
- Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement 2014 Update, Chicago
- Illinois Public Pension Fund Association, Midwest Pension Conference, 2014, Lake Geneva
- Loyola University Chicago, Institute for Investor Protection Conference, 2012
- Chicago Bar Association, Class Litigation Seminar, 2012
- “Criminal Appeals,” Federal Appellate Practice (BNA Books 2008)