Travis E. Downs III
“Our shareholder derivative practice protects corporations against the people who are supposed to protect the shareholders.”
Travis Downs prosecutes shareholder derivative actions for corporations injured by their executives. He helped achieve substantial recoveries for numerous companies injured by option backdating, including KLA-Tencor and Marvell Technology.
Travis Downs is a partner in the Firm’s San Diego office. His areas of expertise include prosecution of shareholder and securities litigation, including complex shareholder derivative actions.
Downs led a team of lawyers who successfully prosecuted over sixty-five stock option backdating derivative actions in federal and state courts across the country, resulting in hundreds of millions in financial givebacks for the plaintiffs and extensive corporate governance enhancements, including annual directors elections, majority voting for directors and shareholder nomination of directors. Notable cases include: In re Community Health Sys., Inc. S'holder Derivative Litig. ($60 million in financial relief and unprecedented corporate governance reforms); In re Marvell Tech. Grp. Ltd. Derivative Litig. ($54 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements); In re McAfee, Inc. Derivative Litig. ($30 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements); In re Affiliated Computer Servs., Inc. Derivative Litig. ($30 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements); In re KB Home S’holder Derivative Litig. ($30 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements); In re Juniper Networks Derivative Litig. ($22.7 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements); and In re Nvidia Corp. Derivative Litig. ($15 million in financial relief and extensive corporate governance enhancements).
He was also part of the litigation teams that obtained a $67 million settlement in City of Westland Police & Fire Ret. Sys. v. Stumpf, a shareholder derivative action alleging that Wells Fargo participated in the mass-processing of home foreclosure documents by engaging in widespread robo-signing, and a $250 million settlement in In re Google, Inc. Derivative Litig., an action alleging that Google facilitated in the improper advertising of prescription drugs.
Downs is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars and has lectured on a variety of topics related to shareholder derivative and class action litigation. Downs has been named a Top Lawyer in San Diego by San Diego Magazine for the past five consecutive years and has been selected to the Best Lawyers in America list by Best Lawyers®.
Downs earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, with honors, in History from Whitworth University and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Washington School of Law.
Travis E. Downs III, Benny C. Goodman III, Jay P. Lefkowitz, Erik W. Luedeke, Darren J. Robbins & Matthew Solum, Chapter 4: Mediation Submissions by Plaintiffs and Defendants, in Financial Services Mediation Answer Book 4-1 (Layn R. Phillips et al. ed., 2017)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2018
- Top Lawyer in San Diego, San Diego Magazine, 2013-2017
- Elected to the Whitworth University Board of Trustees, 2013
- Super Lawyer, 2008
University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1990
Whitworth University, B.A., 1985, History, with honors
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Awards & Recognition
- Robbins Geller Once Again Named One of the “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers® Names Eight Robbins Geller Attorneys as Best Lawyers in America and Selects Paul Geller as Lawyer of the Year for 2018
- Nine Robbins Geller Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers in San Diego”
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers by San Diego Magazine
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2014 Top Lawyers in San Diego List
- 12 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2013 Top Lawyers in San Diego List