There’s nothing more important than being a strong advocate for your clients.
David Rosenfeld, a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Melville office, has focused his practice of law for more than 15 years in the areas of securities litigation and corporate takeover litigation. He has been appointed as lead counsel in dozens of securities fraud lawsuits and has successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for defrauded shareholders.
David works on all stages of litigation, including drafting pleadings, arguing motions, and negotiating settlements. Most recently, he was on the team of Robbins Geller attorneys who obtained a $34.5 million recovery in Patel v. L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., which represents a high percentage of damages that plaintiffs could reasonably expect to be recovered at trial and is more than eight times higher than the average settlement of cases with comparable investor losses.
Additionally, David led the Robbins Geller team in recovering in excess of $34 million for investors in Overseas Shipholding Group, which represented an outsized recovery of 93% of bond purchasers’ damages and 28% of stock purchasers’ damages. The creatively structured settlement included more than $15 million paid by a bankrupt entity. David also led the effort that resulted in the recovery of nearly 90% of losses for investors in Austin Capital, a sub-feeder fund of Bernard Madoff. In connection with this lawsuit, David met with and interviewed Madoff in federal prison.
David has also achieved remarkable recoveries against companies in the financial industry. In addition to recovering $70 million for investors in Credit Suisse Group, and having been appointed lead counsel in the securities fraud lawsuit against First BanCorp (which provided shareholders with a $74.25 million recovery), he recently settled claims against Barclays for $14 million, or 20% of investors’ damages, for statements made about its LIBOR practices.
In addition to currently litigating numerous securities fraud class actions, David is representing, on a pro bono basis, disabled schoolchildren in New York City schools who have been denied special education services in violation of federal and state law. David and his team recently obtained a favorable decision certifying two classes of students in that case.
David frequently lectures on securities litigation and has been a faculty member of the Practising Law Institute since 2013. He also served on securities litigation panels for Sandpiper Partners for several years and was invited by PricewaterhouseCoopers to provide a plaintiff’s lawyer’s perspective on securities litigation trends, as part of their in-house continuing education.
David often advises and lectures the Firm’s institutional investor clients on securities litigation and has been responsible for numerous significant rulings in their appointment as lead plaintiffs.
David has been named a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation, and has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2011. In 2014, he was elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation.
David earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business and his Juris Doctor degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2020
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014-2020
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2018
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2011-2013
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business, B.S., 1996
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second and Third Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- March 15, 2021
- March 10, 2021
- January 17, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- September 18, 2019
- January 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Fighting for Children Diagnosed with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder in New YorkJanuary 4, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- August 30, 2013
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Member, J-LINK, a Provider of Pro Bono Legal Services
- Serves on the Advisory Board of Strafford’s Securities Class Action Reporter