There’s nothing more important than being a strong advocate for your clients.
David Rosenfeld, a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Melville office, has focused his practice of law for more than 15 years in the areas of securities litigation and corporate takeover litigation. He has been appointed as lead counsel in dozens of securities fraud lawsuits and has successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for defrauded shareholders.
Rosenfeld works on all stages of litigation, including drafting pleadings, arguing motions and negotiating settlements. Most recently, he was on the team of Robbins Geller attorneys who obtained a $34.5 million recovery in Patel v. L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., which represents a high percentage of damages that plaintiffs could reasonably expect to be recovered at trial and is more than eight times higher than the average settlement of cases with comparable investor losses.
Additionally, Rosenfeld led the Robbins Geller team in recovering in excess of $34 million for investors in Overseas Shipholding Group, which represented an outsized recovery of 93% of bond purchasers’ damages and 28% of stock purchasers’ damages. The creatively structured settlement included more than $15 million paid by a bankrupt entity. Rosenfeld also led the effort that resulted in the recovery of nearly 90% of losses for investors in Austin Capital, a sub-feeder fund of Bernard Madoff. In connection with this lawsuit, Rosenfeld met with and interviewed Madoff in federal prison.
Rosenfeld has also achieved remarkable recoveries against companies in the financial industry. In addition to recovering $70 million for investors in Credit Suisse Group, and having been appointed lead counsel in the securities fraud lawsuit against First BanCorp (which provided shareholders with a $74.25 million recovery), he recently settled claims against Barclays for $14 million, or 20% of investors’ damages, for statements made about its LIBOR practices.
In addition to currently litigating numerous securities fraud class actions, Rosenfeld is representing, on a pro bono basis, disabled schoolchildren in New York City schools who have been denied special education services in violation of federal and state law. Rosenfeld and his team recently obtained a favorable decision certifying two classes of students in that case.
Rosenfeld frequently lectures on securities litigation and has been a faculty member of the Practising Law Institute since 2013. He also served on securities litigation panels for Sandpiper Partners for several years and was invited by PricewaterhouseCoopers to provide a plaintiff’s lawyer’s perspective on securities litigation trends, as part of their in-house continuing education.
Rosenfeld often advises and lectures the Firm’s institutional investor clients on securities litigation and has been responsible for numerous significant rulings in their appointment as lead plaintiffs.
Rosenfeld has been named a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation, and has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2011. In 2014, he was elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation.
Rosenfeld regularly practices in federal and state courts throughout the United States and is admitted to practice in the state of New York, the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, the District of Colorado, the Western District of Michigan, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the First, Second and Third Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Rosenfeld earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business and his Juris Doctor degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2019
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2018
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2018
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2011-2013
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business, B.S., 1996
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second and Third Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Robbins Geller Recognized as “One of the Country’s Best-Known Plaintiff Shops” by Benchmark LitigationOctober 30, 2018
- September 13, 2018
- September 5, 2018
- May 30, 2018
- October 31, 2017
- September 20, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 18, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- Benchmark Litigation Continues to “Highly Recommend” Robbins Geller as One of the Top Plaintiffs Firms in America and Commends 8 Partners as Stars and Top LitigatorsOctober 21, 2016
- September 23, 2016
- September 21, 2016
- September 8, 2016
- August 16, 2016
- July 27, 2016
- March 31, 2016
- February 11, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Fighting for Children Diagnosed with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder in New YorkJanuary 4, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- November 9, 2015
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top AttorneysOctober 16, 2015
- September 16, 2015
- Robbins Geller Obtains Class Certification on Behalf of Barclays Investors in LIBOR Securities Class ActionAugust 21, 2015
- April 21, 2015
- March 4, 2015
- October 20, 2014
- April 28, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- April 16, 2014
- October 16, 2013
- August 30, 2013
- April 11, 2013
- January 7, 2013
- February 24, 2012
- October 17, 2011
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Member, J-LINK, a Provider of Pro Bono Legal Services
- Serves on the Advisory Board of Strafford’s Securities Class Action Reporter