Jessica T. Shinnefield
“Our commitment to our clients shines through in our unequalled record of successes.”
Jessica Shinnefield has significant experience in litigating securities fraud class actions from start to finish.
Jessica Shinnefield is a partner in the Firm’s San Diego office. Currently, her practice focuses on initiating, investigating and prosecuting securities fraud class actions. Shinnefield was a member of the litigation team prosecuting actions against investment banks and leading national credit rating agencies for their roles in structuring and rating structured investment vehicles backed by toxic assets in Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank v. Morgan Stanley & Co. Incorporated and King County, Washington v. IKB Deutsche Industriebank AG. These cases were among the first to successfully allege fraud against the rating agencies, whose ratings have traditionally been protected by the First Amendment. Shinnefield also litigated individual opt-out actions against AOL Time Warner – Regents of the Univ. of Cal. v. Parsons and Ohio Pub. Emps. Ret. Sys. v. Parsons (total settlement over $600 million). She is currently litigating several securities actions, including an action against Omnicare, in which she recently helped obtain a favorable ruling from the United States Supreme Court. Shinnefield has also successfully appealed lower court decisions in the Second, Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Shinnefield received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Communication Studies, with highest honors, from the University of California at Santa Barbara. While at UCSB, she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Shinnefield earned her Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law in 2004. She joined the Firm in 2003 as a law clerk.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2015-2017
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2004
University of California at Santa Barbara, B.A., 2001, with highest honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
Awards & Recognition
- 29 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as San Diego Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2017
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers Magazine
- 34 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego