Taeva Shefler is an associate in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Francisco office and focuses her practice on consumer and securities fraud litigation. Along with other Robbins Geller attorneys, Taeva worked on behalf of cities and counties around the country in In re National Prescription Opiate Litigation. In 2022, Taeva participated on the trial team in a federal bench trial in San Francisco in a case that had been selected as a bellwether in the multi-district litigation. The trial has resulted in combined settlements of over $350 million for San Francisco, including a nearly $230 million settlement with Walgreens, and more than $50 billion nationally from multiple pharmaceutical companies who were defendants in the national litigation.
Taeva also worked to address the opioid crisis on behalf of cities and counties across the country in another multi-district litigation, In re McKinsey Prescription Opiate Consultant Litigation, seeking to hold McKinsey & Co., Inc., one of the world’s leading business consultants, accountable for playing a “central role in the unfolding, propagation, and exploitation of the opioid crisis by advising multiple opioid manufacturers and other industry participants how to sell as many opioids as conceivably possible,” according to the complaint. On September 26, 2023, McKinsey agreed to pay $230 million to government subdivisions and school districts to resolve claims about its role in facilitating the U.S. opioid crisis. The settlement is subject to the court’s approval.
Taeva was also part of the team on the national Juul litigation, In re Juul Labs, Inc., Marketing, Sales Practices, and Product Liability Litigation. On September 19, 2023, the plaintiffs, for which Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP serves on the steering committee, secured final approval of a $255 million class action settlement with JUUL Labs, Inc. in the e-cigarette youth vaping predatory advertising, fraud, addiction, and injury multi-district litigation. The settlement with JUUL is part of a series of settlements on behalf of class, personal injury, and subdivision plaintiffs with cases in the multi-district litigation. Separately, a $235 million settlement with Altria was also announced in May 2023 and is pending court approval. The settlement was reached shortly after the plaintiffs’ case was presented in a bellwether trial in San Francisco.
Before joining Robbins Geller, Taeva spent years representing whistleblowers in cases alleging fraud against federal and state governments in the areas of environmental cleanup, government contracting, and healthcare. She has also represented public and private water suppliers in mass tort cases alleging contamination of drinking water due to the use of toxic chemicals in agricultural areas across California.
Taeva is a member of the San Francisco Bar Association and, through its Justice and Diversity Center, has taken a pro bono case on behalf of an incarcerated self-litigant alleging constitutional violations while in prison. She has been selected by Northern California’s Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star and has been included in the 500 X - The Next Generation Lawdragon guide. She has also been listed as a Best Lawyer in America: One to Watch by Best Lawyers®.
Taeva earned her Bachelor of Arts degree magna cum laude from the University of Oregon Clark Honors College. She received distinguished honors for successfully completing and defending a linguistics thesis. Taeva received her Juris Doctor degree cum laude from New York University School of Law. While in law school, Taeva competed on the Moot Court Team, served as the Treasurer for the Public Interest Law Foundation, and was awarded the Eric Dean Bender Convocation Prize for her commitment to public service.
- Best Lawyer in America: One to Watch, Best Lawyers®, 2024
- 500 X - The Next Generation, Lawdragon, 2023
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2022-2023
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- University of Oregon Clark Honors College, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- McKinsey to Pay $230 Million to Resolve Claims About Its Consulting for Drug Companies that Fueled the Opioid CrisisSeptember 27, 2023
- September 26, 2023
- Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® and The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch®August 17, 2023
- July 13, 2023
- Robbins Geller and Co-Counsel Achieve Nearly $230 Million Settlement with Walgreens for its Role in Opioid Epidemic in San FranciscoMay 26, 2023
- Robbins Geller Helps Secure Historic $235 Million Settlement with Altria in National Youth E-Cigarette CasesMay 22, 2023
- “‘Rapid-Fire Five-Dimensional Chess’”: Partner Aelish Baig Discusses Recent “Landmark Victory” with Law360September 2, 2022
- August 11, 2022
- On the Eve of Closing Arguments in Opioid Trial, Robbins Geller and Co-Counsel Strike Historic $58 Million Settlement for the City and County of San FranciscoJuly 13, 2022