Alexandra S. Bernay
I’m proud to represent businesses and individuals wronged by corporate greed and fraud. No firm is better equipped for the fight.
Xan Bernay is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office, where she specializes in antitrust and unfair competition class-action litigation. She has also worked on some of the Firm’s largest securities fraud class actions, including the Enron litigation, which recovered an unprecedented $7.2 billion for investors.
In In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litig. Bernay serves as co-lead counsel. That case, pending in the Eastern District of New York, is brought on behalf of millions of U.S. merchants against Visa and MasterCard and various card-issuing banks. The case challenges the way these companies set and collect tens of billions of dollars annually in merchant fees.
Additionally, Bernay is involved in antitrust cases on behalf of various generic drug purchasers who allege a wide-ranging scheme against major drug companies. She is also a member of the team in In re Digital Music Antitrust Litig., pending in the Southern District of New York.
In the past, Bernay was actively involved in the consumer action on behalf of bank customers who were overcharged for debit card transactions. That case, In re Checking Account Overdraft Litig., resulted in more than $500 million in settlements with major banks that manipulated customers’ debit transactions to maximize overdraft fees.
Bernay earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism from Humboldt State University, where she received the Society of Professional Journalists Outstanding Graduate Award. She then graduated magna cum laude with a Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law, where she was Comments Editor for the San Diego Law Review, an Order of the Coif member and was a representative of the university’s Public Interest Law Foundation at the national conference.
- Litigator of the Week, Global Competition Review, October 1, 2014
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Comments Editor, San Diego Law Review
- Representative of the university's Public Interest Law Foundation at the national conference
Humboldt State University, B.A., 1997, Journalism
- Received the Society of Professional Journalists Outstanding Graduate Award
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fifth and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Plaintiffs Represented by Robbins Geller Overcome Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss in Lloyd’s of London Multidistrict LitigationAugust 25, 2017
- Paul Geller Appointed to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in Nationwide Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust LitigationApril 8, 2016
- November 6, 2014
- January 17, 2014
- July 19, 2012
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Member, California Bar Association, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section
- Member, Consumer Attorneys of California