As appellate lawyers, we provide consistency, coherence, candor and clarity to the litigation strategy pursued by the firm.
Susan Alexander is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Francisco office. Her practice specializes in federal appeals of securities fraud class actions on behalf of investors. Among her most notable cases are In re VeriFone Holdings, Inc. Sec. Litig. ($95 million recovery) and the successful appellate ruling in Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. Flowserve Corp. ($55 million recovery).
Other representative results include: Stoyas v. Toshiba Corp., 896 F.3d 933 (9th Cir. 2018) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud action and holding that the Exchange Act applies to unsponsored American Depositary Shares), cert. denied, 588 U.S. __ (2019); Mineworkers’ Pension Scheme v. First Solar Inc., 881 F.3d 750 (9th Cir. 2018) (affirming denial of summary judgment and holding that loss causation is proximate causation, rejecting more restrictive tests), cert. denied, 588 U.S. __ (2019); W. Va. Pipe Trades Health & Welfare Fund v. Medtronic, Inc., 845 F.3d 384 (8th Cir. 2016) (reversing summary judgment of securities fraud action on statute of limitations grounds); In re Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. Sec. Litig., 2016 U.S. App. LEXIS 19141 (9th Cir. 2016) (reversing dismissal of §11 claim); Carpenters Pension Trust Fund of St. Louis v. Barclays PLC, 750 F.3d 227 (2d Cir. 2014) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on loss causation); Panther Partners Inc. v. Ikanos Commc'ns, Inc., 681 F.3d 114 (2d Cir. 2012) (reversing dismissal of §11 claim); City of Pontiac Gen. Emps. Ret. Sys. v. MBIA, Inc., 637 F.3d 169 (2d Cir. 2011) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on statute of limitations); In re Gilead Scis. Sec. Litig., 536 F.3d 1049 (9th Cir. 2008) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on loss causation); Barrie v. Intervoice-Brite, Inc., 397 F.3d 249 (5th Cir.) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on scienter), reh’g denied and op. modified, 409 F.3d 653 (5th Cir. 2005); and Pirraglia v. Novell, Inc., 339 F.3d 1182 (10th Cir. 2003) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on scienter).
Suzi’s prior appellate work was with the California Appellate Project (“CAP”), where she prepared appeals and petitions for writs of habeas corpus on behalf of individuals sentenced to death, as well as supervising private attorneys in their preparation of appeals and habeas corpus petitions. At CAP, and subsequently in private practice, Suzi litigated and consulted on death penalty direct and collateral appeals for ten years. She was previously associated with Bronson, Bronson & McKinnon, where she litigated professional malpractice and product liability cases on behalf of attorneys, doctors, and automobile manufacturers, including defense verdicts in two jury trials.
At the request of the Ninth Circuit, Suzi chairs the Court’s Advisory Rules Committee. She is also the Ninth Circuit’s Pro Bono Program District Coordinator for Northern California and Hawaii. In 2009, Suzi was selected to a three-year term as an appellate delegate to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, during which she chaired an appellate practice clinic for Ninth Circuit practitioners, as well as several other ongoing programs designed to improve administration of justice at the Court.
Suzi is a Past President of the Federal Bar Association, Northern California Chapter, as well as a member of the Appellate Practice Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
Suzi has been named a Super Lawyer for the past five consecutive years. She was elected to both the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers and the California Academy of Appellate Lawyers. Suzi graduated with honors from Stanford University with a Bachelor of Arts degree and from the University of California, Los Angeles with a Juris Doctor degree.
- Super Lawyer, 2015-2019
- Elected to the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, 2015
- Elected to California Academy of Appellate Lawyers, 2013
- Selected as an appellate delegate to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2009
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1986
- Stanford University, B.A., 1983, with Honors
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
- June 26, 2019
- September 5, 2018
- July 17, 2018
- Three Robbins Geller Partners Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2018July 10, 2018
- June 13, 2018
- January 31, 2018
- January 12, 2018
- July 7, 2017
- December 28, 2016
- October 26, 2016
- Four Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2016July 11, 2016
- Three Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2015July 7, 2015
- April 27, 2015
- April 11, 2013
- February 5, 2013
- January 30, 2013
- Robbins Geller wins appeal in In re VeriFone Holdings, Inc. Sec. Litig., No. 11-15860 (9th Cir. Dec. 21, 2012)December 21, 2012
- December 21, 2012
- December 7, 2012
- October 26, 2012
- American Bar Association’s Council of Appellate Lawyers
- Executive Committee Member, Federal Bar Association, Northern California Chapter
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco, Appellate Practice Section