Litigating cases all the way to the Supreme Court exemplifies the Firm’s unwavering dedication to our clients and defrauded investors worldwide.
Matthew Alpert is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office and focuses on the prosecution of securities fraud litigation. Matt’s current cases include securities fraud cases against Diplomat Pharmacy (E.D. Mich.), Valeant (D.N.J.), Santander Consumer USA (N.D. Tex.) and Banc of California (C.D. Cal.).
Matt is part of the litigation team that successfully obtained class certification in a securities fraud class action against Regions Financial, a class certification decision which was substantively affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Local 703, I.B. of T. Grocery & Food Emps. Welfare Fund v. Regions Fin. Corp., 762 F.3d 1248 (11th Cir. 2014). Upon remand, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama granted class certification again, rejecting defendants’ post-Halliburton II arguments concerning stock price impact.
Some of Matt’s previous cases include: the individual opt-out actions of the AOL Time Warner class action – Regents of the Univ. of Cal. v. Parsons (Cal. Super. Ct., Los Angeles Cty.) and Ohio Pub. Emps. Ret. Sys. v. Parsons (Ohio. Ct. of Common Pleas, Franklin Cty.) (total settlement over $600 million); Local 703, I.B. of T. Grocery & Food Emps. Welfare Fund v. Regions Fin. Corp. (N.D. Ala.) ($90 million settlement); In re MGM Mirage Sec. Litig. (D. Nev.) ($75 million); In re CIT Grp. Inc. Sec. Litig. (S.D.N.Y.) ($75 million settlement); Luna v. Marvell Tech. Grp., Ltd. (N.D. Cal.) ($72.5 million settlement); In re Bridgestone Sec. Litig. (M.D. Tenn.) ($30 million settlement); In re Walter Energy, Inc. Sec. Litig. (N.D. Ala.) ($25 million); City of Hialeah Emps.’ Ret. Sys. & Laborers Pension Trust Fund for N. Cal. v. Toll Bros., Inc. (E.D. Pa.) ($25 million settlement); In re Molycorp, Inc. Sec. Litig. (D. Colo.) ($20.5 million settlement); Batwin v. Occam Networks, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) ($13.9 million settlement); Int’l Bhd. of Elec. Workers Local 697 Pension Fund v. Int’l Game Tech. (D. Nev.) ($12.5 million settlement); Kmiec v. Powerwave Techs. Inc. (C.D. Cal.) ($8.2 million); In re Sunterra Corp. Sec. Litig. (D. Nev.) ($8 million settlement); and Luman v. Anderson (W.D. Mo.) ($4.25 million settlement).
Matt has been recognized as a Super Lawyer Rising Star for the past five years. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in History from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and his Juris Doctor degree from Washington University, St. Louis.
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2015-2019
- Washington University, St. Louis, J.D., 2005
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, B.A., 2001, History
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- March 22, 2019
- June 13, 2018
- June 4, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- March 30, 2018
- Robbins Geller Triumphs Over Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss in Diplomat Pharmacy Securities Class ActionJanuary 19, 2018
- October 30, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- May 26, 2016
- 31 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers MagazineJanuary 20, 2016
- August 5, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- Robbins Geller Defeats Defendants’ Third Attempt to Derail Class Certification in Regions Financial Case, Finding Sufficient Evidence of Price Impact to Survive Halliburton IINovember 19, 2014
- November 6, 2014
- RGRD attorneys prevail against Regions Financial Corp. in 11th Circuit decision finding that district court properly certified securities class actionAugust 6, 2014
- January 17, 2014
- October 23, 2013
- July 19, 2012
- March 14, 2012