Every day, we go toe-to-toe with well-heeled corporations to hold them accountable to working folks.
Rachel Jensen is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office. For 16 years, Rachel has developed a track record of success in helping to craft impactful business reforms and recover billions of dollars on behalf of individuals, businesses, and government entities injured by unlawful business practices, fraudulent schemes, and hazardous products.
Rachel was one of the lead attorneys who secured a historic recovery on behalf of Trump University students nationwide in two class actions against President Donald J. Trump, which provided $25 million and nearly 100% refunds to class members. Rachel represented the class on a pro bono basis. As a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Fiat Chrysler EcoDiesel litigation, Rachel helped obtain a $840 million global settlement for concealed defeat devices in “EcoDiesel” SUVs and trucks. Rachel also represented drivers against Volkswagen in one of the most brazen corporate frauds in recent history, helping recover $17 billion for emission cheating in “clean” diesel vehicles. Additionally, Rachel serves as lead counsel for investors in Grupo Televisa ADRs who lost millions when it was revealed that the Mexican media giant obtained broadcasting rights to FIFA World Cup tournaments not by fair play but bribery. Rachel also serves as one of the lead counsel for policyholders against certain Lloyd’s of London syndicates for collusive practices in the insurance market. Most recently, Rachel’s representation of California passengers in a landmark consumer and civil rights case against Greyhound for subjecting them to discriminatory immigration raids had an immediate impact as Greyhound now provides “know your rights” information to passengers and implemented other business reforms.
Among other recoveries, Rachel has played significant roles in In re LendingClub Sec. Litig., No. 3:16-cv-02627-WHA (N.D. Cal.) ($125 million settlement that ranks among the top ten largest securities recoveries ever in N.D. Cal.); Negrete v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of N. Am., No. CV056838CAS(MANx) (C.D. Cal.) ($250 million to senior citizens targeted for exorbitant deferred annuities that would not mature in their lifetimes); In re Ins. Brokerage Antitrust Litig., No. 04-5184(CCC) (D.N.J.) ($200 million recovered for policyholders who paid inflated premiums due to kickback scheme among major insurers and brokers); In re Morning Song Bird Food Litig., No. 3:12-cv-01592-JAH-AGS (S.D. Cal.) ($85 million settlement in refunds to bird lovers who purchased Scotts Miracle-Gro wild bird food treated with pesticides that are hazardous to birds); City of Westland Police & Fire Ret. Sys. v. Stumpf, No. 3:11-cv-02369-SI (N.D. Cal.) ($67 million in homeowner down-payment assistance and credit counseling for cities hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis and computer integration for mortgage servicing segments in derivative settlement with Wells Fargo for “robo-signing” of foreclosure affidavits); In re Mattel, Inc., Toy Lead Paint Prods. Liab. Litig., No. 2:07-ml-01897-DSF-AJW (C.D. Cal.) ($50 million in refunds and quality assurance business reforms for toys made in China with lead and magnets); and In re Checking Account Overdraft Litig., No. 1:09-md-2036-JLK (S.D. Fla.) ($500 million in settlements with major banks for manipulating debit transactions to maximize overdraft fees).
Rachel has been named a Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazer by The National Law Journal, a Leading Lawyer in America by Lawdragon for three consecutive years, a Top Woman Lawyer by the Daily Journal, and a California Trailblazer by The Recorder. Additionally, she has been recognized several times as a Super Lawyer and a Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine. Rachel is a member of the faculty of the 2019 inaugural Mass Torts MDL Certificate Program at the Bolch Judicial Institute of Duke Law School. She was also a featured speaker at the 2017 Federal Bar Association Women in Law Conference, discussing the roles of grit and risk-taking in breaking barriers for women and people of color in the legal profession.
Rachel has received local recognition and commendation for her human rights work advocating on behalf of the homeless. In 2006, Rachel co-founded Think Dignity, a non-profit organization whose mission is to advance basic dignity in San Diego, for which she served as President from 2006-2011 and a Board Member since its inception. Think Dignity runs a Transitional Storage Center in downtown San Diego so that the homeless can interview for jobs and receive training or services; provides free legal clinics, mobile showers and a café; and leads a “Basic Dignity Coalition,” which secured funding for 24/7 public restrooms in the East Village.
Before joining the practice, Rachel clerked for the late Honorable Warren J. Ferguson on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; was associated with Morrison & Foerster LLP in San Francisco; and worked abroad in Arusha, Tanzania as a law clerk in the Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (“ICTR”) and at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (“ICTY”), located in The Hague, Netherlands.
Rachel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the honors program at Florida State University, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and graduated cum laude. Rachel received her Juris Doctor degree from Georgetown University Law School, where she served as Inaugural Editor-in-Chief of the First Annual Review of Gender and Sexuality Law, a publication of the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law. During law school, Rachel attended the University of Oxford, International Human Rights Law Program at New College. She also taught Street Law at a public high school in Washington, D.C.
- California Trailblazer, The Recorder, 2019
- Leading Lawyer in America, Lawdragon, 2017-2019
- Super Lawyer, 2016-2019
- Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2018
- Top Woman Lawyer, Daily Journal, 2017
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2015
- Nominated for 2011 Woman of the Year, San Diego Magazine
Georgetown University Law School, J.D., 2000
- Editor-in-Chief, First Annual Review of Gender and Sexuality Law
- Dean’s List, 1998-1999
Florida State University, B.A., 1997, cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- August 15, 2019
- The Recorder Names Robbins Geller Partners Shawn Williams, Rachel Jensen and Aelish Baig as 2019 California TrailblazersJune 25, 2019
- Robbins Geller Defeats Greyhound’s Bid to Dismiss Consumer Claims for Allowing Discriminatory Immigration Raids of Passengers Aboard BusesJune 24, 2019
- June 11, 2019
- Robbins Geller Helps Score Final Approval of $840 Million Global Settlement Against Fiat Chrysler for Emissions ScandalMay 6, 2019
- April 10, 2019
- March 26, 2019
- March 22, 2019
- February 22, 2019
- January 11, 2019
- October 2, 2018
- June 13, 2018
- The National Law Journal Names Robbins Geller Partners Paul Geller, Jason Forge and Rachel Jensen as 2018 Plaintiffs’ Lawyers TrailblazersMay 1, 2018
- March 30, 2018
- March 19, 2018
- February 6, 2018
- October 23, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- Plaintiffs Represented by Robbins Geller Overcome Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss in Lloyd’s of London Multidistrict LitigationAugust 25, 2017
- Partner Rachel Jensen Appointed to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in Fiat Chrysler EcoDiesel LitigationJune 19, 2017
- May 24, 2017
- April 27, 2017
- April 4, 2017
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Court Approval of $25 million Settlement in Trump University CaseMarch 31, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP's Pro Bono Representation Yields Historic Recovery on Behalf of Trump University StudentsNovember 18, 2016
- 31 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers MagazineJanuary 20, 2016
- August 5, 2015
- July 1, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- November 6, 2014
- October 28, 2014
- June 3, 2014
- Robbins Geller obtains class certification and defeats motion to dismiss on behalf of Trump University students in two related cases in the Southern District of CaliforniaFebruary 24, 2014
- December 12, 2012
- October 17, 2011
- October 14, 2009
- Member of the Board of Governors, San Diego Chapter, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Co-Founder and Board Member, Think Dignity
Featured Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- The Duke Law Bolch Judicial Institute, Mass-Tort MDL Certificate Program, Durham, North Carolina; March 13-15, 2019