We’re at the leading edge of complex litigation and prosecute landmark cases that help shape the law for years to come.
Maxwell Huffman is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office. He focuses his practice on representing institutional and individual investors in shareholder class and derivative actions in the context of mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, and other major corporate transactions. Maxwell was a member of the litigation team for In re Dole Food Co., Inc. S’holder Litig., where he went to trial in the Delaware Court of Chancery on claims of breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of Dole Food Co., Inc. shareholders and obtained a $148 million recovery, which is the largest trial verdict ever in a class action challenging a merger transaction. Most recently, Maxwell successfully obtained a partial settlement of $60 million in In re Tesla Motors, Inc. S’holder Litig., a case which alleged that the members of the Tesla Board of Directors breached their fiduciary duties, unjustly enriched themselves, and wasted corporate assets in connection with their approval of Tesla’s acquisition of SolarCity Corp. in 2016.
Maxwell is part of Robbins Geller’s SPAC Task Force, which is dedicated to rooting out and prosecuting fraud on behalf of injured investors in special purpose acquisition companies. The rise in “blank check” financing poses unique risks to investors, and this group – comprised of experienced litigators, investigators, and forensic accountants – represents the vanguard of ensuring integrity, honesty, and justice in this rapidly developing investment arena.
Maxwell has been named a Winning Litigator by The National Law Journal, a Titan of the Industry by The American Lawyer, and a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, and has been named to the Daily Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40” list. Maxwell regularly teaches courses on stockholder litigation and is actively involved with legal education, including at the NYU School of Law. Before joining Robbins Geller, Maxwell worked for a boutique firm specializing in securities litigation and bankruptcy matters. Before returning to school to earn his law degree, he spent several years in the finance industry. Working first for a California-based hedge fund and later a well-known insurance company, Maxwell draws upon this experience when representing clients in his current practice.
Maxwell earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from California State University, Sacramento, and his Juris Doctor degree from Gonzaga University School of Law.
- Top 40 Under 40, Daily Journal, 2020
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2019
- Winning Litigator, The National Law Journal, 2018
- Titan of the Industry, The American Lawyer, 2018
- Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- California State University, Sacramento, B.A., 2005
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, and Eastern Districts of California
- April 12, 2021
- August 12, 2020
- Robbins Geller Ranked Tier 1 Firm and Several Partners Named Leading Lawyers and Next Generation Lawyers by The Legal 500June 11, 2020
- Robbins Geller Ranked Tier 1 by The Legal 500 for "Achieving High-Value Recoveries and Precedent-Setting Decisions for Defrauded Shareholders"May 30, 2019
- Masters of the Courtroom: Robbins Geller Partners Randall J. Baron and Maxwell R. Huffman Named as 2018 Winning Litigators by The National Law JournalAugust 27, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- November 17, 2017
- August 29, 2017
- November 9, 2015
- August 27, 2015
- July 5, 2014
- June 30, 2014