Alan Ellman is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Melville office, where he concentrates his practice on prosecuting complex securities fraud cases on behalf of institutional investors.
Most recently, Alan was on the team of Robbins Geller attorneys who obtained a $34.5 million recovery in Patel v. L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., which represents a high percentage of damages that plaintiffs could reasonably expect to be recovered at trial and is more than eight times higher than the average settlement of cases with comparable investor losses. He was also on the team of attorneys who recovered in excess of $34 million for investors in In re OSG Sec. Litig., which represented an outsized recovery of 93% of bond purchasers’ damages and 28% of stock purchasers’ damages. The creatively structured settlement included more than $15 million paid by a bankrupt entity.
In 2006, Alan received a Volunteer and Leadership Award from Housing Conservation Coordinators (HCC) for his pro bono service defending a client in Housing Court against a non-payment action, arguing an appeal before the Appellate Term, and staffing HCC’s legal clinic. He also successfully appealed a pro bono client’s criminal sentence before the Appellate Division.
Alan has been named a “Rising Star” and a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine. Before joining Robbins Geller, he was associated with a prominent Manhattan plaintiffs’ class action firm, where his practice focused on securities class actions. Alan also previously practiced securities litigation and regulatory enforcement defense at an international defense firm. He graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a Bachelor of Science degree in Management, with a concentration in Finance, from the State University of New York at Binghamton. Alan received his Juris Doctor degree from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017-2019
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014-2015
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.S., Management, B.A., Political Science, 1999, cum laude
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Eighth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- September 12, 2019
- April 1, 2019
- September 13, 2018
- September 20, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 18, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- March 31, 2016
- February 11, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- September 16, 2015
- April 16, 2014
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Federal Bar Council