Samuel H. Rudman
“Many CEOs and CFOs have told me that my law firm’s very existence serves as a deterrent against corporate fraud. If that’s not validation of what we do, I don’t know what is.”
Sam Rudman has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for shareholders and is an active speaker and writer on securities law matters.
Sam Rudman is a founding member of the Firm, a member of the Executive and Management Committees, and manages the Firm’s New York offices. His 22-year securities practice focuses on recognizing and investigating securities fraud, and initiating securities and shareholder class actions to vindicate shareholder rights and recover shareholder losses. A former attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Rudman has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for shareholders, including a $200 million recovery in Motorola, a $129 million recovery in Doral Financial, an $85 million recovery in Blackstone, a $74 million recovery in First BanCorp, a $65 million recovery in Forest Labs, a $50 million recovery in TD Banknorth, and a $48 million recovery in CVS Caremark.
In the TD Banknorth litigation, the court appointed Rudman and the Firm to be lead counsel for the plaintiff class only after rejecting as “wholly inadequate” the settlement negotiated for the class by another law firm. When the Firm later achieved a $50 million recovery for the class, the court stated: “This is one of the cases – there’s probably been a half a dozen since I’ve been a judge that I handled which have – really through the sheer diligence and effort of plaintiffs’ counsel – resulted in substantial awards for plaintiffs, after overcoming serious procedural and other barriers. . . . [I]t appears plainly from the papers that you and your co-counsel have diligently, and at great personal expense and through the devotion of many thousands of hours of your time, prosecuted this case to a successful conclusion.” The court also credited the Firm with raising the inadequacy of the initial settlement.
Rudman is an active speaker on securities law matters. He has spoken at programs sponsored by the Practicing Law Institute, including: Securities Litigation & Enforcement Institute and Response to Ponzi and Other Schemes: Alternative Investment Funds under Scrutiny. He has also spoken at the D&O Symposium organized by the Professional Liability Underwriting Society. Additionally, Rudman has published articles including: “Meaning of Second Circuit’s ‘W.R. Huff’ for Investment Advisors,” New York Law Journal; “Back to ‘Novak’: Confidential Witnesses in Fraud Actions,” New York Law Journal; and “‘Oscar’: Misinterpretation of Fraud-on-the-Market Theory,” New York Law Journal.
Rudman graduated from Binghamton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School, where he was a Dean’s Merit Scholar, a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and the Brooklyn Journal of International Law. Upon graduation from law school, Rudman joined the Enforcement Division of the SEC in its New York Regional Office as a staff attorney, where he was responsible for numerous investigations and prosecutions of violations of the federal securities laws. Thereafter, Rudman joined one of the largest corporate law firms in the country, where he represented public companies in the defense of securities class actions and also handled white-collar criminal defense matters.
Honors & Awards
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2016
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013, 2016
- Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2016
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2014-2015
- Super Lawyer, 2007-2015
Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1992
- Dean’s Merit Scholar
- Member, Brooklyn Journal of International Law
- Member, Moot Court Honor Society
Binghamton University, B.A., 1989
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth and Fifth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Western, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re OSG Sec. Litig.
- In re TD Banknorth S'holders Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- Jaffe v. Household Int’l, Inc.
- Luther v. Countrywide Financial Corporation
- Matrixx Initiatives, Inc. v. Siracusano
- Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.
- May 2016
- April 1, 2016
- March 31, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Fighting for Children Diagnosed with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder in New YorkJanuary 4, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- Robbins Geller Obtains Class Certification in Goldman Sachs Securities Class Action, the Firm’s Seventh Post-Halliburton Class Certification VictorySeptember 25, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- March 4, 2015
- October 20, 2014
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Case Against Stock Exchanges Over High-Frequency Trading Heats UpSeptember 9, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- August 30, 2013
- A First Time for Everything: The First Circuit Opines on Loss Causation and Vacates CVS Caremark DismissalMay 24, 2013
- March 20, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- June 21, 2012
- April 9, 2012
- February 24, 2012
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces Opening of Chicago Office and Recovery of $200 Million for Motorola ShareholdersFebruary 2, 2012
Awards & Recognition
- Robbins Geller Named Partners All Recognized as Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon
- Law360 Names Robbins Geller One of the Nation’s Securities Groups of the Year
- Robbins Geller Recognized as One of the Nation’s Top Securities Practice Groups of the Year
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm: Robbins Geller
- Law360 Recognizes Robbins Geller as One of the Nation’s Most Feared Plaintiffs’ Firms for 2015
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys selected to the 2015 Super Lawyers New York Metro Edition
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Top Securities Firm and Names Attorneys to Its Best Lawyers Rankings
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Most Feared Plaintiffs' Firms by Law360 and Ranked a "Highly Recommended" Plaintiffs' Firm by Benchmark Litigation
- Chambers USA Names Robbins Geller Attorneys to its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Gives Robbins Geller Highest Ranking and Names Darren Robbins and Samuel Rudman as “Litigation Stars”
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Law Firm
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Firm
- Second Quarter 2016
- First Quarter 2016
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Third Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2015
- First Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Fourth Quarter 2013
- Third Quarter 2013
- Second Quarter 2012
- September 27, 2011
- January 30, 2009New York Law Journal
- October 20, 2008New York Law Journal
- July 17, 2008New York Law Journal
- March 25, 2008New York Law Journal
- January 25, 2008New York Law Journal
- March 8, 2004New York Law Journal