Michael J. Dowd
“I’m proud to work every day alongside what I consider to be the very best lawyers, paralegals and support staff in the business.”
Mike Dowd served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1987-1991 and again from 1994-1998.
Mike Dowd is a founding partner of the Firm and a member of its Executive and Management Committees. He has practiced in the area of securities litigation for 20 years, prosecuting dozens of complex securities cases and obtaining significant recoveries for investors in cases such as UnitedHealth ($925 million), WorldCom ($657 million), AOL Time Warner ($629 million), Qwest ($445 million) and Pfizer ($400 million).
Dowd served as lead trial counsel in Jaffe v. Household International in the Northern District of Illinois, a securities class action that obtained a record-breaking $1.575 billion settlement after 14 years of litigation, including a six-week jury trial in 2009 that resulted in a verdict for plaintiffs. Dowd also served as the lead trial lawyer in In re AT&T Corp. Sec. Litig., which was tried in the District of New Jersey and settled after only two weeks of trial for $100 million.
Dowd served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1987-1991, and again from 1994-1998, where he handled dozens of jury trials, and was awarded the Director's Award for Superior Performance. Dowd was named Attorney of the Year by California Lawyer and one of the “Top 100 Lawyers” by the Daily Journal. Additionally, the National Association of Corporate Directors’ NACD Directorship magazine named him to their “Directorship 100,” which recognizes those individuals who have had a profound impact and the greatest influence on corporate governance.
Dowd graduated from Fordham University, magna cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Latin. While at Fordham, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Michigan School of Law.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers®, 2015-2017
- Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2014-2016
- Top Lawyer in San Diego, San Diego Magazine, 2013-2016
- Super Lawyer, 2010-2016
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, 2015
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013
- Directorship 100, NACD Directorship, 2012
- Attorney of the Year, California Lawyer, 2010
- Top 100 Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2009
- Director's Award for Superior Performance, United States Attorney's Office
University of Michigan School of Law, J.D., 1984
Fordham University, B.A., 1981, History and Latin, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank v. Morgan Stanley & Co. Inc.
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- AOL Time Warner, Inc. Opt-Out Litigations
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- Jaffe v. Household Int’l, Inc.
- Jones v. Pfizer Inc.
- Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.
- Robbins Geller Prevails in 14-Year Household Securities Class Action with Record $1.575 Billion RecoveryOctober 28, 2016
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Obtains Record $1.575 Billion Recovery from HSBC Finance Corp. in Securities Fraud Class ActionJune 16, 2016
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily Interviews Darren Robbins on Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Success and What Is Next in Securities LitigationMay 23, 2016
- May 2016
- July 30, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- Robbins Geller Obtains Preliminary Approval of $400 million Securities Class Action Settlement Against Pfizer Inc.March 16, 2015
- February 13, 2015
- May 1, 2014
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Obtains $2.46 Billion Judgment Against Household International, Now HSBC Finance Corp.October 17, 2013
- August 30, 2013
- Plaintiffs Reach “Landmark” Settlement in Case Against Rating Agencies and Morgan Stanley on the Eve of TrialApril 26, 2013
- December 14, 2011
- February 24, 2010
Awards & Recognition
- Robbins Geller Honored as Winner in Final 2016 Elite Trial Lawyers List by The National Law Journal
- Robbins Geller Takes Tier 1 in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” List
- Benchmark Litigation Continues to “Highly Recommend” Robbins Geller as One of the Top Plaintiffs Firms in America and Commends 8 Partners as Stars and Top Litigators
- The National Law Journal Names Robbins Geller to its 2016 Elite Trial Lawyers List
- Best Lawyers® Recognizes Robbins Geller Attorneys as Best Lawyers in America and Darren Robbins as a Lawyer of the Year for 2017
- The Legal 500 Recognizes Robbins Geller as “the 800-pound gorilla” Plaintiffs’ Firm and Awards Top Ranking
- Robbins Geller Named Partners All Recognized as Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Law360 Names Robbins Geller One of the Nation’s Securities Groups of the Year
- Robbins Geller Recognized as One of the Nation’s Top Securities Practice Groups of the Year
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm: Robbins Geller
- Law360 Recognizes Robbins Geller as One of the Nation’s Most Feared Plaintiffs’ Firms for 2015
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Top Securities Firm and Names Attorneys to Its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers by San Diego Magazine
- The American Lawyer Recognizes Robbins Geller Partners Michael J. Dowd and Jason A. Forge
- 34 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego
- Robbins Geller Partners Named as Two of the Nation’s Top 500 Lawyers
- Robbins Geller Partner Michael J. Dowd Named as One of America’s “Best Lawyers” for 2015
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2014 Top Lawyers in San Diego List
- 12 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2013 Top Lawyers in San Diego List
- Michael J. Dowd Named Attorney of the Year
- Third Quarter 2016
- Second Quarter 2016
- First Quarter 2016
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Third Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2015
- First Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2014
- First Quarter 2014
- Fourth Quarter 2013
- Third Quarter 2013
- Third Quarter 2012
- Second Quarter 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2011