Michael J. Dowd
“I’m proud to work every day alongside what I consider to be the very best lawyers, paralegals and support staff in the business.”
Mike Dowd served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1987-1991 and again from 1994-1998.
Michael J. Dowd is a founding partner of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP and a member of its Executive and Management Committees. Mr. Dowd has practiced in the area of securities litigation for 17 years, prosecuting dozens of complex securities cases and obtaining significant recoveries for investors in cases such as UnitedHealth ($925 million), WorldCom ($657 million), AOL Time Warner ($629 million), and Qwest ($445 million). Mr. Dowd served as lead trial counsel in Jaffe v. Household International in the Northern District of Illinois, a securities class action which, in October 2013, resulted in a judgment for plaintiffs providing $2.46 billion for the injured shareholder class. Mr. Dowd also served as the lead trial lawyer in In re AT&T Corp. Sec. Litig., which was tried in the District of New Jersey and settled after only two weeks of trial for $100 million.
Mr. Dowd served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1987-1991, and again from 1994-1998, where he handled dozens of jury trials, and was awarded the Director's Award for Superior Performance. Mr. Dowd graduated from Fordham University, magna cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Latin. While at Fordham, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Michigan School of Law.
Mr. Dowd was named Attorney of the Year by California Lawyer and one of the “Top 100 Lawyers” by the Daily Journal. In September 2011, the National Association of Corporate Directors’ NACD Directorship magazine named Mr. Dowd to their “Directorship 100,” which recognizes those individuals who have had a profound impact and the greatest influence on corporate governance.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers, U.S.News, 2015
- Super Lawyer, 2010-2015
- Top Lawyer in San Diego, San Diego Magazine, 2013-2015
- Benchmark Litigation Star, 2013
- Attorney of the Year, California Lawyer, 2010
- Top 100 Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2009
- Director's Award for Superior Performance, United States Attorney's Office
University of Michigan School of Law, J.D., 1984
Fordham University, B.A., 1981, History and Latin, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank v. Morgan Stanley & Co. Inc.
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- AOL Time Warner, Inc. Opt-Out Litigations
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- Jaffe v. Household Int’l, Inc.
- Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.
Awards & Recognition
- 14 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers by San Diego Magazine
- The American Lawyer Recognizes Robbins Geller Partners Michael J. Dowd and Jason A. Forge
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego
- Robbins Geller Partners Named as Two of the Nation’s Top 500 Lawyers
- Robbins Geller Partner Michael J. Dowd Named as One of America’s “Best Lawyers” for 2015
- 27 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- 14 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2014 Top Lawyers in San Diego List
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys Named to the 2013 Top Lawyers in San Diego List
- Michael J. Dowd Named Attorney of the Year
- First Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2014
- First Quarter 2014
- Fourth Quarter 2013
- Third Quarter 2013
- Third Quarter 2012
- Second Quarter 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2011