David A. Rosenfeld
“There’s nothing more important as a lawyer than being a strong advocate for your clients.”
For more than 15 years, David Rosenfeld has focused his practice in the areas of securities litigation and corporate takeover litigation and has been appointed as lead counsel in dozens of securities fraud cases.
David Rosenfeld, a partner of the Firm resident in the Melville and Manhattan offices, has focused his practice of law for more than 15 years in the areas of securities litigation and corporate takeover litigation. He has been appointed as lead counsel in dozens of securities fraud lawsuits and has successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for defrauded shareholders.
Rosenfeld works on all stages of litigation, including drafting pleadings, arguing motions and negotiating settlements. Most recently, he led the Robbins Geller team in recovering in excess of $34 million for investors in Overseas Shipholding Group, which represented an outsized recovery of 93% of bond purchasers’ damages and 28% of stock purchasers’ damages. The creatively structured settlement included more than $15 million paid by a bankrupt entity. Rosenfeld also led the effort that resulted in the recovery of nearly 90% of losses for investors in Austin Capital, a sub-feeder fund of Bernard Madoff. In connection with this lawsuit, Rosenfeld met with and interviewed Madoff in federal prison.
Rosenfeld has also achieved remarkable recoveries against companies in the financial industry. In addition to recovering $70 million for investors in Credit Suisse Group, and having been appointed lead counsel in the securities fraud lawsuit against First BanCorp (which provided shareholders with a $74.25 million recovery), he recently settled claims against Barclays for $14 million, or 20% of investors’ damages, for statements made about its LIBOR practices.
In addition to currently litigating numerous securities fraud class actions, Rosenfeld is representing, on a pro bono basis, disabled schoolchildren in New York City schools who have been denied special education services in violation of federal and state law. Rosenfeld and his team recently obtained a favorable decision certifying two classes of students in that case.
Rosenfeld frequently lectures on securities litigation and has been a faculty member of the Practising Law Institute since 2013. He also served on securities litigation panels for Sandpiper Partners for several years and was invited by PricewaterhouseCoopers to provide a plaintiff’s lawyer’s perspective on securities litigation trends, as part of their in-house continuing education.
Rosenfeld often advises and lectures the Firm’s institutional investor clients on securities litigation and has been responsible for numerous significant rulings in their appointment as lead plaintiffs.
Rosenfeld has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2011 and has been named a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation. In 2014, he was elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation.
Rosenfeld regularly practices in federal and state courts throughout the United States and is admitted to practice in the state of New York, the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, the District of Colorado, the Western District of Michigan, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the First, Second and Third Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Rosenfeld earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business and his Juris Doctor degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
Federal Bar Council, Member
J-LINK, a Provider of Pro Bono Legal Services, Member
Serves on the Advisory Board of Strafford’s Securities Class Action Reporter
Honors & Awards
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2017
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2016
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2011-2013
- American Bar Association, Fellow
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 1999
Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business, B.S., 1996
- New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second and Third Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- September 23, 2016
- September 8, 2016
- July 27, 2016
- March 31, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- Robbins Geller Fighting for Children Diagnosed with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder in New YorkJanuary 4, 2016
- Overseas Shipholding Group Senior Notes Purchasers Recover 87% of Damages in Securities Class ActionDecember 4, 2015
- Robbins Geller Obtains Class Certification on Behalf of Barclays Investors in LIBOR Securities Class ActionAugust 21, 2015
- March 4, 2015
- October 20, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- August 30, 2013
- January 7, 2013
- February 24, 2012
Awards & Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation Continues to “Highly Recommend” Robbins Geller as One of the Top Plaintiffs Firms in America and Commends 8 Partners as Stars and Top Litigators
- 15 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2016
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- 13 Robbins Geller Attorneys selected to the 2015 Super Lawyers New York Metro Edition
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- Third Quarter 2016
- First Quarter 2016
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2014
- Fourth Quarter 2013
- Second Quarter 2013
- Fourth Quarter 2011