Darren J. Robbins
“The strength of our commitment to excellence is reflected in our unmatched record of success.”
Darren Robbins has been named California Lawyer Attorney of the Year and recognized as one of the nation’s top securities litigators by several organizations including The American Lawyer and Chambers USA.
Darren Robbins is a founding partner of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP and a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Over the last two decades, Robbins has served as lead counsel in more than 100 securities actions and has recovered billions of dollars for injured shareholders.
Robbins has obtained significant recoveries in a number of actions arising out of wrongdoing related to the issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities, including cases against Countrywide ($500 million) and Goldman Sachs ($272 million). Most recently, he served as lead counsel in Schuh v. HCA Holdings, Inc., which resulted in a $215 million recovery for shareholders, the largest securities class action recovery ever in Tennessee. The recovery represents between 34% and 70% of the aggregate damages, far exceeding the typical recovery in a securities class action. He also served as co-lead counsel in connection with a $627 million recovery for investors in In re Wachovia Preferred Securities & Bond/Notes Litig., one of the largest credit-crisis settlements involving Securities Act claims.
One of the hallmarks of Robbins’ practice has been his focus on corporate governance reform. For example, in UnitedHealth, a securities fraud class action arising out of an options backdating scandal, Robbins represented lead plaintiff CalPERS and was able to obtain the cancellation of more than 3.6 million stock options held by the company’s former CEO and secure a record $925 million cash recovery for shareholders. In addition, Robbins obtained sweeping corporate governance reforms, including the election of a shareholder-nominated director to the company’s board of directors, a mandatory holding period for shares acquired via option exercise, and compensation reforms that tied executive pay to performance.
Featured consistently in prominent industry rankings, observers, peers and adversaries recognize Robbins as one of the leading attorneys in the securities litigation field. He has been named one of the “Top 100 Lawyers Shaping the Future” by the Daily Journal, one of the “Young Litigators 45 and Under” by The American Lawyer, a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, a “Best Lawyer” by U.S. News, one of the “Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego” by Super Lawyers, and “Attorney of the Year” by California Lawyer. Additionally, Chambers USA designated Robbins as “a prominent figure in the field of securities litigation” and “one of the leaders of the plaintiff Bar.”
Robbins is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars around the world. He also advises institutional investors in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, the Middle East, Asia and the European Union on issues related to securities litigation, corporate governance and investor activism.
Robbins was awarded B.S. and M.A. degrees in Economics from the University of Southern California. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Vanderbilt Law School.
Honors & Awards
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2016
- Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2006-2007, 2009-2016
- Super Lawyer, 2013-2016
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2014-2016
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers, 2015
- Best Lawyers, U.S.News, 2010-2015
- Recognized as one of Top 100 Lawyers Shaping the Future, Daily Journal, 2008
- Recognized as a Young Litigator 45 and Under, The American Lawyer, 2007
- 2003 Attorney of the Year Award, presented by California Lawyer, March 2004
Vanderbilt School of Law, J.D., 1993
University of Southern California, M.A., 1990
University of Southern California, B.S., 1990
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. CitiGroup, Inc. (In re WorldCom Sec. Litig.)
- Central Laborers’ Pension Fund v. Chellgren (Ashland)
- In re Enron Corp. Sec. Litig.
- In re UnitedHealth Grp. Inc. PSLRA Litig.
- In re Wachovia Preferred Securities and Bond/Notes Litig.
- Luther v. Countrywide Financial Corporation
- NECA-IBEW Health & Welfare Fund v. Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Schuh v. HCA Holdings, Inc.
- Schwartz v. TXU Corp.
- June 16, 2016
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily Interviews Darren Robbins on Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s Success and What Is Next in Securities LitigationMay 23, 2016
- May 2016
- May 3, 2016
- April 1, 2016
- February 24, 2016
- November 10, 2015
- June 15, 2015
- Robbins Geller Tops SCAS 50 Report with More Recoveries than Any Other Securities Law Firm in the CountryMay 14, 2015
- March 24, 2015
- October 7, 2014
- September 22, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- March 4, 2014
- June 4, 2013
- August 5, 2011
Awards & Recognition
- Rankings Are In! Chambers USA Recognizes Robbins Geller as a Top Securities Firm & Names Attorneys the Best in Their Field
- Robbins Geller Named Partners All Recognized as Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for Their Excellence and Achievements in Law by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Law360 Names Robbins Geller One of the Nation’s Securities Groups of the Year
- Robbins Geller Recognized as One of the Nation’s Top Securities Practice Groups of the Year
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm: Robbins Geller
- Law360 Recognizes Robbins Geller as One of the Nation’s Most Feared Plaintiffs’ Firms for 2015
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Top Securities Firm and Names Attorneys to Its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 34 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego
- Law360 Recognizes Robbins Geller's Recent Successes
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Most Feared Plaintiffs' Firms by Law360 and Ranked a "Highly Recommended" Plaintiffs' Firm by Benchmark Litigation
- Robbins Geller Partners Named as Two of the Nation’s Top 500 Lawyers
- Chambers USA Names Robbins Geller Attorneys to its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 25 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- U.S.News Ranks Robbins Geller a National Tier 1 Firm
- Robbins Geller Earns Plaintiffs' Hot List Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Gives Robbins Geller Highest Ranking and Names Darren Robbins and Samuel Rudman as “Litigation Stars”
- Lawdragon Names Robbins Geller Partners as Two of the Top 500 Lawyers
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Law Firm
- Darren Robbins, Paul Geller and Randy Baron Named to Lawdragon’s List of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Legal 500 Ranks Robbins Geller a Top-Tier Plaintiffs’ Firm Nationally in Securities Litigation
- Darren Robbins and Paul Geller Named as Leading Lawyers in America
- U.S.News Names Partner Darren J. Robbins as one of America’s “Best Lawyers”
- The Daily Transcript Names Darren J. Robbins as One of San Diego’s Top Attorneys
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Firm
- Law360 Names the Firm to its Plaintiffs Securities Firms of the Year 2009 List
- Top 100 Lawyers
- Second Quarter 2016
- First Quarter 2016
- January 6, 2016Accounting Today
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Third Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2015
- First Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2014
- Second Quarter 2014
- First Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2013
- Second Quarter 2013
- First Quarter 2013
- Fourth Quarter 2012
- Third Quarter 2012
- Second Quarter 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2011