Darren J. Robbins
“The strength of our commitment to excellence is reflected in our unmatched record of success.”
Darren Robbins has been named California Lawyer Attorney of the Year and recognized as one of the nation’s top securities litigators by several prestigious organizations, including The American Lawyer.
Darren J. Robbins is a founding partner of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP and a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Over the last two decades, Mr. Robbins has served as lead counsel in more than 100 securities actions and has recovered billions of dollars for injured shareholders. One of the hallmarks of Mr. Robbins’ practice has been his focus on corporate governance reform. For example, in UnitedHealth, a securities fraud class action arising out of an options backdating scandal, Mr. Robbins represented lead plaintiff CalPERS and was able to obtain the cancellation of more than 3.6 million stock options held by the company’s former CEO and secure a record $925 million cash recovery for shareholders. In addition, Mr. Robbins obtained sweeping corporate governance reforms, including the election of a shareholder-nominated director to the company’s board of directors, a mandatory holding period for shares acquired via option exercise, and compensation reforms that tied executive pay to performance.
Mr. Robbins obtained significant recoveries in a number of actions arising out of wrongdoing related to the issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities, including Countrywide ($500 million). He also served as co-lead counsel in connection with a $627 million recovery for investors in In re Wachovia Preferred Securities & Bond/Notes Litig., one of the largest credit-crisis settlements involving Securities Act claims.
Featured consistently in prominent industry rankings, observers, peers and adversaries recognize Robbins as one of the leading attorneys in the securities litigation field. He has been named one of the “Top 100 Lawyers Shaping the Future” by the Daily Journal, one of the “Young Litigators 45 and Under” by The American Lawyer, a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, one of the nation’s “Top 500 Lawyers” by Lawdragon, a “Best Lawyer” by U.S. News, one of the “Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego” by Super Lawyers, and “Attorney of the Year” by California Lawyer. Additionally, Chambers USA ranked Robbins as “a prominent figure in the field of securities litigation” and “one of the leaders of the plaintiff Bar.”
Mr. Robbins is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars around the world. Mr. Robbins also advises institutional investors in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, the Middle East, Asia and the European Union on issues related to securities litigation, corporate governance and investor activism.
Mr. Robbins was awarded B.S. and M.A. degrees in Economics from the University of Southern California. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Vanderbilt Law School.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers, 2015
- Super Lawyer, 2013-2015
- Leading Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2014-2015
- Best Lawyers, U.S.News, 2010-2015
- Benchmark Local Litigation Star, 2013-2016
- Recognized as one of the Top 500 Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2006-2007, 2009-2014
- Recognized as one of Top 100 Lawyers Shaping the Future, Daily Journal, 2008
- Recognized as a Young Litigator 45 and Under, The American Lawyer, 2007
- 2003 Attorney of the Year Award, presented by California Lawyer, March 2004
Vanderbilt School of Law, J.D., 1993
University of Southern California, M.A., 1990
University of Southern California, B.S., 1990
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Awards & Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Ranks Robbins Geller a “Highly Recommended” Plaintiffs Firm and Names Several Partners as Top Attorneys
- Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm: Robbins Geller
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Top Securities Firm and Names Attorneys to Its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 35 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers in San Diego
- Law360 Recognizes Robbins Geller's Recent Successes
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Most Feared Plaintiffs' Firms by Law360 and Ranked a "Highly Recommended" Plaintiffs' Firm by Benchmark Litigation
- Robbins Geller Partners Named as Two of the Nation’s Top 500 Lawyers
- Chambers USA Names Robbins Geller Attorneys to its Best Lawyers Rankings
- 26 Robbins Geller Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers and 8 Honored as Rising Stars
- U.S.News Ranks Robbins Geller a National Tier 1 Firm
- Robbins Geller Earns Plaintiffs' Hot List Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation Once Again Gives Robbins Geller Highest Ranking and Names Darren Robbins and Samuel Rudman as “Litigation Stars”
- Lawdragon Names Robbins Geller Partners as Two of the Top 500 Lawyers
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Law Firm
- Darren Robbins, Paul Geller and Randy Baron Named to Lawdragon’s List of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Legal 500 Ranks Robbins Geller a Top-Tier Plaintiffs’ Firm Nationally in Securities Litigation
- Darren Robbins and Paul Geller Named as Leading Lawyers in America
- U.S.News Names Partner Darren J. Robbins as one of America’s “Best Lawyers”
- The Daily Transcript Names Darren J. Robbins as One of San Diego’s Top Attorneys
- Chambers USA Ranks Robbins Geller a Band 1 Firm
- Law360 Names the Firm to its Plaintiffs Securities Firms of the Year 2009 List
- Top 100 Lawyers
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against Rubicon Technology, Inc.
- Robbins Geller files class action suit against Walgreen Co.
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against Acadia Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc.
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit on Behalf of Investors in TCP International Holdings LTD.
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against International Business Machines Corporation
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against CTPartners Executive Search Search Inc.
- Robbins Geller Named One of the Nation’s Most Feared Litigation Firms
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP has been Named to The National Law Journal's Plaintiffs' Hot List
- Fourth Quarter 2015
- Third Quarter 2015
- Second Quarter 2015
- First Quarter 2015
- Fourth Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2014
- Second Quarter 2014
- First Quarter 2014
- Third Quarter 2013
- Second Quarter 2013
- First Quarter 2013
- Fourth Quarter 2012
- Third Quarter 2012
- Second Quarter 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS)
- BC Public Sector Pension Conference
- AFL-CIO Building & Construction Trades Legislative Conference
- Pensions Investment Research Consultants Ltd. (PIRC)
- Asia Pacific Association for Fiduciary Studies
- Corporate Directors Forum
- International Foundation