David A. Knotts
We excel at disturbing the patina of normalcy surrounding corporate transactions, uncovering self-interested conduct, then obtaining real monetary results for shareholders.
David Knotts is a partner in Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP’s San Diego office and, in addition to ongoing litigation work, teaches a full-semester course on M&A litigation at the University of California Berkeley School of Law as a Lecturer. He focuses his practice on securities class action litigation in the context of mergers and acquisitions, representing both individual shareholders and institutional investors. Knotts has been counsel of record for shareholders on a number of significant recoveries in California state courts and in the Delaware Court of Chancery, including In re Rural/Metro Corp. Stockholders Litig. (nearly $110 million total recovery, affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court in RBC v. Jervis), In re Del Monte Foods Co. S’holders Litig. ($89.4 million), Websense ($40 million), and In re Onyx S’holders Litig. ($30 million). Indeed, Websense and Onyx – both approved in late 2016 – are believed to be the largest post-merger class settlements in California state court history.
Prior to joining Robbins Geller, Knotts was an associate at one of the largest law firms in the world and represented corporate clients in various aspects of state and federal litigation, including major antitrust matters, trade secret disputes, unfair competition claims, and intellectual property litigation.
Knotts has been named a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500. He has been recognized for his pro bono work, receiving the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services from the State Bar of California. He was also named to the Casa Cornelia Inns of Court for his work representing unaccompanied minors in asylum hearings in federal immigration court.
Knotts graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Pittsburgh. He earned his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from Cornell Law School.
- Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500, 2017
- Received the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services from The State Bar of California
- Named to the Casa Cornelia Inns of Court for his work representing unaccompanied minors in asylum hearings in federal immigration court
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 2004, cum laude
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S., 2001
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- September 12, 2017
- August 29, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- April 24, 2017
- March 2017
- January 10, 2017
- February 11, 2016
- November 30, 2015
- November 6, 2014
- October 21, 2014
- Robbins Geller Obtains near $100 Million Judgment Against RBC Capital Markets, LLC on Behalf of Former Rural/Metro Corp. ShareholdersOctober 13, 2014
- March 10, 2014
- January 17, 2014