Susan K. Alexander
“As appellate lawyers, we provide consistency, coherence, candor and clarity to the litigation strategy pursued by the firm.”
With nearly 30 years of appellate experience, Suzi Alexander has briefed or argued on behalf of defrauded investors in the First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits.
Ms. Alexander specializes in federal appeals of securities fraud class actions on behalf of investors. Representative results include:
- Carpenters Pension Trust Fund of St. Louis v. Barclays PLC, 750 F.3d 227 (2d Cir. 2014) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on loss causation);
- Panther Partners Inc. v. Ikanos Commc'ns, Inc., 681 F.3d 114 (2d Cir. 2012) (reversing dismissal of §11 claim);
- City of Pontiac Gen. Emps. Ret. Sys. v. MBIA, Inc., 637 F.3d 169 (2d Cir. 2011) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on statute of limitations);
- n re Gilead Scis. Sec. Litig., 536 F.3d 1049 (9th Cir. 2008) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on loss causation);
- Barrie v. Intervoice-Brite, Inc., 397 F.3d 249 (5th Cir.) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on scienter), reh’g denied and op. modified, 409 F.3d 653 (5th Cir. 2005); and
- Pirraglia v. Novell, Inc., 339 F.3d 1182 (10th Cir. 2003) (reversing dismissal of securities fraud complaint, focused on scienter).
Ms. Alexander’s prior appellate work was with the California Appellate Project (“CAP”), where she prepared appeals and petitions for writs of habeas corpus on behalf of individuals sentenced to death, as well as supervising private attorneys in their preparation of appeals and habeas corpus petitions. At CAP, and subsequently in private practice, Ms. Alexander litigated and consulted on death penalty direct and collateral appeals for ten years. Ms. Alexander was previously associated with Bronson, Bronson & McKinnon, where she litigated professional malpractice and product liability cases on behalf of attorneys, doctors, and automobile manufacturers, including defense verdicts in two jury trials.
At the request of the Ninth Circuit, Ms. Alexander chairs the Court’s Advisory Rules Committee. Ms. Alexander is also the Ninth Circuit’s Pro Bono Program District Coordinator for Northern California and Hawaii. In 2009, Ms. Alexander was selected to a three-year term as an appellate delegate to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, during which she chaired an appellate practice clinic for Ninth Circuit practitioners as well as several other ongoing programs designed to improve administration of justice at the Court.
Ms. Alexander is President-elect of the Federal Bar Association, Northern California Chapter, as well as a member of the Appellate Practice Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
In 2013, Ms. Alexander was elected to the California Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
American Bar Association’s Council of Appellate Lawyers
Executive Committee Member, Federal Bar Association, Northern California Chapter
Member, Bar Association of San Francisco, Appellate Practice Section
Honors & Awards
- Elected to California Academy of Appellate Lawyers, 2013
- Selected as an appellate delegate to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2009
University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1986
Stanford University, B.A., 1983, with honors
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Utah